The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Just Found

daveuk6

Hi all i have just found a book called With Lancashires Lads And Field Guns in France 1915-1918

By Major Neil Fraser - Tytler, D.O.S. R.H.A.

This Book Was Given to the . The Highland Club 13.11.23 No 68

Is this a limited run ?

Are you saying it's a combined edition of two books, 'With Lancashire Lads' and 'Field Guns in France'?

'Field Guns in France' is a great read, taking into account its period -- very gung-ho on "a good day's sport" killing the boche by a member of the Scottish lairderie -- with lots of interesting detail and is quite often cited by military historians. It was recently reprinted and easily available, but you seem to have got hold of a special edition.

My copy is an early, if not a first (I will have to check) edition picked up at a school Christmas bazaar in Hong Kong of all places. But I don't know 'With Lancashire Lads'

cheers Martin B

What a lovely book to have. I have the more modern reprint and it is a good read.

TT

'Field Guns in France' is a great read, taking into account its period -- very gung-ho on "a good day's sport" killing the boche by a member of the Scottish lairderie --

Should that not be Lairdarchy - sort of a Caledonian version of Squirearchy?

Should that not be Lairdarchy - sort of a Caledonian version of Squirearchy?

possssibly :D

anyway, I have checked my edition, and it is a first, but third impression, so it was obviously popular right from the start.

and dave's is one to envy.

cheers Martin B

• 2 weeks later...

Just geting into this just got some time and it is very very gung-ho