The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Awards to Military Police

JRG

If any one is interested in a look up.

I have a complete list for the Military Mounted Police and Military Foot Police

"Honours & Awards 1914-1920. Citations for the Distinguished Conduct Medal, Albert Medal, Royal Humane Society Bronze medal & Acts of Courage"

Lists Mentions in Dispatches upwards.

Listings can show Rank, serial number, Unit, Theatre of War and LG references.

Some of the more notable awards have a listing of the citation as well.

UK troops only not Commonwealth Forces

A very useful list, I found my Grandfather had two MID.

John

What a coincidence.

I have just been looking at a list of Holmfirth men who received decorations at unknown dates between October 1917 and November 1918. One of them was the award of the Military Medal to Lance Corporal J. Earnshaw of Holmfirth serving with the Military Foot Police.

I would appreciate anything that might be mentioned about him. At the moment I do not even know his Christian name or number.

Tony.

"Honours & Awards 1914-1920. Citations for the Distinguished Conduct Medal, Albert Medal, Royal Humane Society Bronze medal & Acts of Courage"

John

Hi John,

I wonder if you are able to help me. My grandfather was apparently in the MFP. Theatre was France. I know he started as a private and ended up a lance corporal. He was in the war for very long. I think he received a gun shot wound to head in July 1916 and was sent home. I think, from his pension records, the rest of the war was spent trying to fix the hole in his head. I have only his pension records, which relate to his treatment and why he left the war, but I don't know anything about where he was, or who he was with etc. Could you look through your list please and see if my grandfather is there. I never heard tell of any medals but you never know.

His name is Claude Goldstone - P.8710

Many thanks.

Trish

What a coincidence.

I have just been looking at a list of Holmfirth men who received decorations at unknown dates between October 1917 and November 1918. One of them was the award of the Military Medal to Lance Corporal J. Earnshaw of Holmfirth serving with the Military Foot Police.

I would appreciate anything that might be mentioned about him. At the moment I do not even know his Christian name or number.

Tony.

Tony,

The list shows

"Earnshaw J. L/Cpl. A/Cpl. P/2387 MFP. From Holmfirth. MM. 30873 10119 29.08.1918."

Acting Corporal J Earnshaw Sevice Number P/2837, was from Holmfirth. He was awarded the Military Medal which was gazetted in (London Gazette) Number 30873 dated 29.08.1918. Page 10119.

You should now be able to search his medal cards on line at either the National Archive or at Ancestry.co.uk (free in November)

You can also look on line at the London Gazette.

regards

John

Hi John,

I wonder if you are able to help me. My grandfather was apparently in the MFP. Theatre was France. I know he started as a private and ended up a lance corporal. He was in the war for very long. I think he received a gun shot wound to head in July 1916 and was sent home. I think, from his pension records, the rest of the war was spent trying to fix the hole in his head. I have only his pension records, which relate to his treatment and why he left the war, but I don't know anything about where he was, or who he was with etc. Could you look through your list please and see if my grandfather is there. I never heard tell of any medals but you never know.

His name is Claude Goldstone - P.8710

Many thanks.

Trish

Trish,

sorry not listed I am afraid.

You should be able to find the Campaign medals listed on the National Archives website and at Ancestry.co.uk (Free in November)

regards

John

John -

Would you be able to see if there is any mention of Horace Calton, L/Cpl MFP, - P/3069. He served with the East Africa Forces. Thanks for your time.

Mabel

John

Hi John

Can you see if there is anything listed for the following two Soldiers from the Military Foot Police

P-2762 Private S G Loader

P-5836 Lance Corporal A A Stokes

Thanks

Rob

Acting Corporal J Earnshaw Sevice Number P/2837, was from Holmfirth. He was awarded the Military Medal which was gazetted in (London Gazette) Number 30873 dated 29.08.1918. Page 10119.

Thank you. The date is especially useful.

Thanks again,

Tony.

John -

Would you be able to see if there is any mention of Horace Calton, L/Cpl MFP, - P/3069. He served with the East Africa Forces. Thanks for your time.

Mabel

mabel,

Sorry, not listed.

Campaign medals may be listed on the National Archives site or on Ancestry.co.uk. (Free in November)

Regards

John

Hi John

Can you see if there is anything listed for the following two Soldiers from the Military Foot Police

P-2762 Private S G Loader

P-5836 Lance Corporal A A Stokes

Thanks

Rob

Rob

Sorry, neither listed.

Campaign medals may be listed on the National Archives site or on Ancestry.co.uk. (Free in November)

Regards

John

hi john,

my great uncle wasn in the mfp but i cant find any info on it is he listed, i know he was tranfured to the rga in 1916 and died soon arfter and on his medal card he has a number for both the mfp and the rga

his name was john woodyer and his numbers were mfp 1308 rga 24098

many thanks

neil

Hi John, many thanks for this. I found his MIC on Ancestry but there doesn't appear tobe anything on it at all. No campaign medal or anything. If he was discharged as unfit in Dec.1917 would that mean he wouldn't even get a victory medal. I don't know where to start finding out where he would have been if there's nothing on the MIC to even point me in the right direction but thanks anyway.

Trish

hi john,

my great uncle wasn in the mfp but i cant find any info on it is he listed, i know he was tranfured to the rga in 1916 and died soon arfter and on his medal card he has a number for both the mfp and the rga

his name was john woodyer and his numbers were mfp 1308 rga 24098

many thanks

neil

Neil,

apologies for the slow reply.

Sorry not listed. Perhaps a look at his service record on Ancestry.co.uk may help.

Kind regards

John

Hi John,

Can you look up -

Pte. (A/L Cpl) James Byrne P/11325 M.F.P (formerly Pte. 7960 Connaught Rangers).

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Can you look up -

Pte. (A/L Cpl) James Byrne P/11325 M.F.P (formerly Pte. 7960 Connaught Rangers).

Cheers

John

John,

sorry not listed I am afraid.

John

Hi

Could you check and see if you have anything for a Acting Lance Corporal Patrick Driscoll - Military Foot Police

Appreciated

Thanks

Brian

Sorry Brian no trace.

John

• 10 months later...
Guest sfouracre

Hi John ,

I am searching for my great grandfather who according to my grandfathers birth certificate was a lance corporal in the military police attached to the South Notts Hussars. His number is 9725.

Would be very grateful if you could check your list and any information you could provide would be most helpful.

Thanks

sarah ward

• 1 year later...

Hi Sarah

sorry for they very late reply, I have emigrated and been away from the forum for a while. What is your Great Grandfathers full name? I should be able to look for him then

John