The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Difference RAOC and Labour Corps

jcebell

Hi all,

My gt grandfather Samuel Sidebotham was wounded (bullets in the leg) and was posted to the RAOC and then on to the Border Regiment, aged about 25 at the time. My gt gt grandfather was also wounded (shot in the arm) and was posted to the Labour Corps, though he would have been about 45 years old, if this has any bearing on this sort of transfer...

We are hoping that someone may know why the two soldiers were posted to different units when they seem to have had the same experience of war wounds.

Thanks,

The Bells

When a man was injured/wounded he would be re-classified according to his medical condition.

Both the RAOC and Labour Corps were not considered front line units and so men who were not fit enough to serve in a front line unit could be transferred to them.

I cannot speak for the RAOC but in the case of the Labour Corps the unit a man was sent to depended on his medical category.

Some men would be considered fit enough to serve in a labour unit overseas whereas others were only fit enough to serve in the UK.

There were even variations within these main categories. Oveseas, for eample, the fitter men would be placed in the general labour corps units whereas those less fit often served in units that required them to carry out less streuous physical work, such as Prisoner of War Companies.

The same was true in the UK. The least fit men often being placed in agricultural units.

If you know your gt gt grandfather's Labour Corps regimental number it may be possible to let you know which Company he served in.

His number means he was transferred to the Labour Corps in 1917, probably June or July.

I cannot be 100% certain about the Company he was in but it looks as if it may have been either 474 or 475 Company. These were both UK based companies stationed in York and Ripon respectively.

There are, I am afraid, no records in existence for these Companies. However I can tell you that they were used to support military bases or hospitals in the area.

For him to be placed in a UK based company his medical category was amongst the lowest grouping for men still fit for military service.

One of my Great Uncles: John William Broadhouse sustained Gun shot wounds to his right thigh in Feb 1917 whist on the front line with 13th (Service) Btn., The Rifle Brigade 37 Division.

He was in the hospital back and forth throughout 1917 and at some time transferred into the Army Ordnance Corps, when and which company, I do not know, but his army number changed as well as when he discharged after the armistice with 3rd (Reserve) Btn. Dorsetshire Regiment.

It would appear my G U was transferred into the AOC for the same reasons as outlined in the other posts - due to their injuries?