The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Haigs Despatches (Maps)

4thGordons

Can someone tell me what I am missing?

I just picked up a box set of maps which look to be from an fairly early edition of this (The Maps are printed on heavy cloth like paper and are imprinted Ordnance Survey 1919) - although very cheap, it is unfortunately incomplete

I am missing maps 5 and 8. I can guess their content but can someone confirm?

Map 1 - Somme 1916

Map 2 - German Retreat to the Hindenburg Line (Winter 1916-17)

Map 3 - Battle of Arras (Spring 1917)

Map 4 - Third Battle of Ypres (Summer and Autumn 1917)

Map 5 - ??

Map 6 - German Offensive on the Somme (March 1918)

Map 7 - German Offensive on the Lys (April 1918)

Map 8 - ??

Map 9 - Allied Advance 1918

Map 10 - British Advance to the Rhine

Chris

Hi Chris,

Map 5 is: 'Battle of Cambrai, November & December, 1917.'

Map 8 is: 'Final British Offensive, August-November, 1918.'

I have 'Sir Douglas Haig's Despatches' and companion map folio's from both the UK publisher J. M. Dent & Son and the US imprint of

E. P. Dutton. Both were printed in the UK and are identical as far as the text of the Despsatches and the maps themselves are concerned. The only difference is in the slipcases for the maps - the US version is open at one end with cloth ties whilst the UK edition is in the form of a faux book with a closing flap at one side. It's a pity Map 8 is one of the two you are missing as I think it is one of the best, showing as it does with absolute clarity the advance of the 'Hundred Days.'

ciao,

GAC

Hi Chris,

Map 5 is: 'Battle of Cambrai, November & December, 1917.'

Map 8 is: 'Final British Offensive, August-November, 1918.'

I have 'Sir Douglas Haig's Despatches' and companion map folio's from both the UK publisher J. M. Dent & Son and the US imprint of

E. P. Dutton. Both were printed in the UK and are identical as far as the text of the Despsatches and the maps themselves are concerned. The only difference is in the slipcases for the maps - the US version is open at one end with cloth ties whilst the UK edition is in the form of a faux book with a closing flap at one side. It's a pity Map 8 is one of the two you are missing as I think it is one of the best, showing as it does with absolute clarity the advance of the 'Hundred Days.'

ciao,

GAC

Many Thanks

Mine is a red slipcase with cloth ties to hold the maps in - the US version. I had assumed Cambrai - thanks for confirming the coverage of map 8.

Thanks again

Chris