The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bonner VC

Neil Clark

I just wanted to tell you all that I have read "Bonner VC" from cover to cover twice now. :D

It's a truly remarkable work that was a real joy to read. Anyone with an interest in the Victoria Cross and it's gallant holders should order a copy via SueS (a forum member). It's a very reasonable £20. Well worth every penny when you compare it to most other books costing the same amount. The book is beautifully designed and printed on lovely smooth quality paper...

Order a copy here - http://www.bonnervc.co.uk/

post-2961-1228434206.jpg

I browsed through it in Walsall Local History Centre yesterday and put it on my to buy some day list. Out of interest does anyone know how I can get hold of a copy of Ken Wayman's 'Walsall Lad's letters from the Trenches'?

I've reviewed it for our January edition:

CAST your mind back a few months to last spring.

Some 200,000 people poured on to the streets of Portsmouth (that’s considerably more people than actually live on the island) to welcome the city’s football team, newly-crowned winners of the FA Cup.

The players were hailed as ‘heroes’, their manager Harry Redknapp, the local newspaper proclaimed (with typical hyperbole as is its wont when Pompey are concerned) was deserving of a knighthood (he’s still to be so honoured…).

How our perspectives have changed – and not for the better.

If you want a true hero, rummage through naval history. You’ll find one Charles George ‘Gus’ Bonner, an unassuming man of honour, the son of a Staffordshire farmer.

In October, there was a clamour in his native Aldridge, a town of some 3,000 folk, to welcome a returning war hero.

The noun is apt in this case. ‘Gus’ Bonner had just been awarded the VC.

His life is lovingly – and comprehensively – told by Sue Satterthwaite in Bonner VC (privately published, £19.99 – profits to the Royal British Legion – ISBN 978-0-955480-18).

Bonner earned Britain’s highest military decoration for his role in a ‘Q ship’ action, trying to lure U-boat UC71 to its doom.

Instead it was the killer-in-disguise, HMS Dunraven, which was mortally wounded in the battle in the Bay of Biscay in August 1917.

Bonner, Dunraven’s first lieutenant, was knocked unconscious by a shell from UC71 which detonated a depth charge; the blast threw him across the deck, but he crawled “inch by inch” back to his 4in gun post.

His day did not get any better. The explosion sparked a fire which made the deck red hot and eventually spread to the Dunraven’s magazine, blowing Bonner and his gun crew up in the air (as well as the gun and its shells).

Burned and covered in blood, Bonner once again crawled across the wrecked deck of the Dunraven, this time to bridge. With typical sangfroid, he reported: “I am sorry, Sir, to leave the gun without permission, but I believe I was blown up.”

It was this “consummate coolness”, not to mention “conspicuous gallantry”, which resulted in the award of the VC that autumn.

It is a story which has been told before in books about the Q ships, or naval VCs. But the author has been given unprecedented access to the family papers, not to obscure records and archives up and down the land (and beyond…).

In fact, it is less the VC action than the aftermath which is particularly uplifting.

The Bonner family home was besieged with reporters – they were “strange, pompous, untidy, dirty” (good to see things haven’t changed – Ed).

And while contemporary newspapers were filled with adulation for Bonner’s exploits, it’s the personal congratulations which have the ability to move – letters from former headmasters, former shipmates, local councilors. There were public meetings in his honour, a concert, a salver of a tea and coffee service presented, standing ovations and songs sung with gusto.

And most touching of all was a poem, After the Strafe, probably composed by his father. It is more McGonagall than McCrae, but it is especially touching nonetheless:

They say it was a gory sight

After the brave explosion past

And your brave Uncle Gus was found

Unconscious by the mast;

But things like this, you know, must be

Ere men attain to the VC.

The man himself rarely talked about the deed which defined him in the eyes of the others, except on odd occasions in the bosom of his family.

“By every law and regulation was killed on three different occasions, by shells and explosions,” he wrote to his parents a few days after the battle. “Am feeling quite unkillable now, though I don’t want another dose quite so bad as that again.”

Gus Bonner survived the war and became a leading salvage expert, ultimately overseeing the end of several dreadnoughts.

He died of cancer in 1951 and although he had lived for most of his later years in Edinburgh, Bonner’s ashes were scattered in the Staffordshire town where he grew up.

Portsmouth hosted a parade in honour of its ‘heroes’ last May; the people of Aldridge parade each year to celebrate the life and achievements of Gus Bonner, more than 90 years after he won the VC – and more than half a century after his death.

They seem to have their priorities right in Staffordshire…

Thank you Neil and Halder for your very kind comments about 'Bonner VC'. It means a great deal to me to know that you have read it and enjoyed it, as a writer that is always my number one priority. It has been the most extraordinary privilege to have been given the oppurtunity of getting to know such an exceptional man.

I did consider saving money by not having the hardback, dust cover etc or by not having the images professionally scanned but at the end of the day 'Bonner VC' was a real labour of love and deserved the best quality possible. I am glad that you apprecite it.

Alan, as for Ken Wayman's book, if you send me a PM I will give you Ken's contact details. If you are free, he and I are doing an evening at Pelsall History Centre next Wednesday 10th December from 6.45. We are each going to do a short talk about each of our books and then the second half of the evening will be 'How to trace your Great War Ancestors'. My book will be on sale on the night at £15 and Ken's is £10. No tickets required.

Thanks again for your interest. Regards Sue S.

Sue

I tried to send you a message but your inbox is full!

Alan

I tried to send you a message but your inbox is full!

It must be all those book orders :lol:

Sorry Alan, do try another PM, there should be room now.

Chris, I do not know whether Gus is related to the Bonner's who served with the South Staffs. It is quite possible because he had a large extended family, although his nephew, who is 88, is'nt aware of any Bonner's in the Staffords.

Regards. Sue S

Chris

Tracking Bonner families through the censuses to see if links exist could be done. I think I've found 'Gus' in the 1901 (living Aldridge, Staffs, born 1885 in Shuttington, Warks - Registered in Tamworth RD which included Shuttington) but I can't find a Singleton Bonner - so that puts the kibosh on that :(

Any other Bonners that could be checked?

Jim

I browsed through it in Walsall Local History Centre yesterday and put it on my to buy some day list. Out of interest does anyone know how I can get hold of a copy of Ken Wayman's 'Walsall Lad's letters from the Trenches'?

Hi Alan

If you send me your address via PM I'll send you a copy of the book! Unless of course you're coming to the talk on Wednesday next!!

Thank you for your interest.

All the best

Ken Wayman

Thanks for the reviews, I've had my thinking cap on for a book for my Dad's birthday and with him being more interested in the Navy, this looks perfect :) The bonus is I'll get to read it just after he does! Just put an order in.

Cheers

Ross

Nice to see that sales are resulting from my thread. The profits are all going to an armed forces related charity afterall... :D

My copy turned up today and it does look fantastic. Excellently presented. Unfortunately my wife snatched it out of my hands before I could have a proper look through. Apparently as its a gift I have to wait!

Hi Halder, just wanted to thank you for the great review. I received my copy through the post and have since read the online edition and sent details to the Bonner clan far and wide. I am glad that you enjoyed the chapter about the reaction to his VC. It was probably my favourite chapter to write. Regards and thanks again. Sue

Hi Halder, just wanted to thank you for the great review. I received my copy through the post and have since read the online edition and sent details to the Bonner clan far and wide. I am glad that you enjoyed the chapter about the reaction to his VC. It was probably my favourite chapter to write. Regards and thanks again. Sue

Hi Sue,

It's so nice to read a quality privately published work. Scores come in each year, badly edited, badly written, atrocious reproduction, poor photos - you feel as if somewhere the publishers are laughing their heads off after some old chap paid them his life savings to publish his story. So one that was so nicely produced, well researched etc was a real change. Bonner seems fairly typical of the men of the RNR/RNVR. Quiet, honourable men, seemingly unflappable.

I guess being a journalist by trade, I was interested to see how the 'story' was handled all those years ago - and to see the spontaneous outpouring of support for Bonner. Interestingly, I've just been researching an article on HMS Ark Royal IV. The people of Leeds raised the equivalent of £300m today to help pay towards the ship when III was sunk. Could you imagine such a similar show from the public today? I doubt it, sadly. :(

• 1 year later...
Guest Edwari
Thank you Neil and Halder for your very kind comments about 'Bonner VC'. It means a great deal to me to know that you have read it and enjoyed it, as a writer that is always my number one priority. It has been the most extraordinary privilege to have been given the oppurtunity of getting to know such an exceptional man.

I did consider saving money by not having the hardback, dust cover etc or by not having the images professionally scanned but at the end of the day 'Bonner VC' was a real labour of love and deserved the best quality possible. I am glad that you apprecite it.

Alan, as for Ken Wayman's book, if you send me a PM I will give you Ken's contact details. If you are free, he and I are doing an evening at Pelsall History Centre next Wednesday 10th December from 6.45. We are each going to do a short talk about each of our books and then the second half of the evening will be 'How to trace your Great War Ancestors'. My book will be on sale on the night at £15 and Ken's is £10. No tickets required.

Thanks again for your interest. Regards Sue S.

Guest Edwari

Hi Sue,

I am trying to purchase a copy of your book "Walsall Servicemen 1914-1918". I have been to The Walsall Local History Centre but they have sold out. Could you tell me where else I could get one please? Thanks a lot.

Bonner VC,

Seems to be a popular book, someone has permanently borrowed the reference copy in Tamworth Library. Pity, I was only up to page 50.

ALan

• 2 months later...

Hi Edwari and apologies for the long delay in replying. Walsall Servicemen 1914-18 is currently out of print and I only have my own copy left. Twelve years on it was still selling well and I am in talks with Walsall Local History Centre regarding the possibility of a second edition. Much of the information on national sources is now out of date and does really need to be updated. If you live locally you should be able to borrow the book through any Walsall libraries. If not I am happy to look through the index for you if you don't have too many. Regards Sue