The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Died Armistice Day?

Kath

Kath,

I met Captain Noel, as mentioned in Lyn MacDonald's "1915, The Death of Innocence", about thirty years ago.

He told of a friend of his in the R.A.F. who flew over the German trenches after 11:00 on Armistice Day and who was shot down by the Germans.

I am fairly sure Captain Noel did not regard this death as an accident.

Unfortunately I cannot remember his Comrade's name.

Regards,

Tim

Kath

As a rough guide as SDGW & ODGW is not totally reliable there were 495 O/R's and 18 Officers who died on Armistice Day. Of the OR's there are 20 recorded as KIA,the remainder are recorded as died of wounds or died. All officers are recorded as died of wounds or died.

Regards Doug

And SDGW leaves out sailors and airmen plus all the Commonwealth troops. Also those who died on the opposing side.

CWGC will run you a report of all the Commonwealth men who died on that day if you wish.

When I have time, Ian's suggestion is a good idea if someone hasn't done it already.

However - the name I was given appears to be of a soldier who died 10/11/18.

So, as often happens, a family tradition is slightly off target.

Thanks to all,

Kath.

Don't forget the women ?

Gladys Walter 39th Training Depot Sqdn Womens Royal Air force . Buried at Braunston-in-Rutland and is not on the village war memorial.

Keith

post-1-1079246865.jpg

Gladys Walter of No 39 Training Depot Station was one of two WRAF members to die on Armistice Day, the other being Violet Maud Porter of No 4 Aircraft Repair Depot.

There were 19 deaths in the RAF; nearly all were not related to combat. Captain Duncan Ronald Gordon Mackay of No 55 Sqn, Independent Force, died from wounds received on 10 November, when he was shot down in DH4 F5725. There were two deaths in aircraft accidents: New Zealander 2Lt Allan William MacDonald of No 1 Training Depot Station was killed in Avro 504K E330; and 2Lt Eric Berkeley Jones of No 5 TDS was killed in RE8 C2624.

No AFC members died that day.

As recently mentioned on another thread you seem to hear quite a few anecdotes of soldiers who died on 'the last day of the war' from relatives which turn out to be untrue on further investigation. Perhaps because such a fate emphasises the poignancy and 'futility' of the sacrifice made it has become a common legend in many families.