The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden

Peter Shand

I've just finished this book and enjoyed it. It is a story about two Cree Indians from Moose Factory, Ontario, Canada, who join the CEF and take part in several actions on the Western Front. Because of their skill in use of rifles from hunting, they become a sniping team. The war scenes, in and out of the trenches at St. Eloi, the Somme, and at Vimy, ring true. The reaction of their company mates and others to their sniping is varied, interesting and believable.

It will be of particular interest to Canadians, as the story contains interesting threads regarding Residential Schools, the relationships (positive and negative) between Indians and White Settlers, and the life of the Cree natives.

I understand that this is the first volume of a trilogy and I look forward to the next volume.

Pete S

I read it earlier this year and I enjoyed it, too. I liked the way it made the reader think about the familiar image of the Great War, but view it through the eyes of people from so far away and with such a different culture.

I found this book on sale in my local Poundland - I didn't even know they sold books. I've looked again often since then, but never found any other book that looked interesting. Strange, sometimes, how books seek us out.

Tom

Is it entirely fictional or is it based on any particular events/people?

Hi Jon; While the book is fiction, according to Wikipedia, Boyton was inspired by the exploits of an Ojibwa, Francis Pegahmagabow, a legendary First World War sniper.

Regards, Pete

I read this about a year ago and quite liked it. I never found anything glaringly wrong. My eyebrows did admittedly lift when the two main characters were described as using Ross rifles well after the Canadian Corps had changed over to the SMLE, but then I figured that, being snipers, they probably wouldn't have suffered the deficits of the Ross as much and would have benefited from its alleged accuracy. Am I right here?

• 3 months later...
I read this about a year ago and quite liked it. I never found anything glaringly wrong. My eyebrows did admittedly lift when the two main characters were described as using Ross rifles well after the Canadian Corps had changed over to the SMLE, but then I figured that, being snipers, they probably wouldn't have suffered the deficits of the Ross as much and would have benefited from its alleged accuracy. Am I right here?

You are. Rosses were used right to the end of the war by some CEF snipers. Have seen a photo of several in Mons in Nov. 1918 showing both P14 and Ross MkIII rifles.

The accuracy of the Ross was more than "alleged". They swept the boards at Bisley for several years before WWI. Hesketh-Prichard mentions shooting a three shot group with one of about half an inch. The range is not mentioned, but it must have been at least 100 yards.

Really liked this book as well. The only "problem" I had with it was

the drug addiction story line. In all of the other books I have read on WWI memoirs and others I have never seen mention of a soldier becoming addicted to morphine and or smoking pot in the trenches (which I think they did in this book on one or two occasions) I guess maybe its a topic that does not come up very often as it would have been taboo, but one would think that somewhere someone else would have mentioned it. Does anyone know of any incidents? This would make an interesting topic to explore possibly? Other than that an excellent book and well worth the read.

Jon

Really liked this book as well. The only "problem" I had with it was
the drug addiction story line. In all of the other books I have read on WWI memoirs and others I have never seen mention of a soldier becoming addicted to morphine and or smoking pot in the trenches (which I think they did in this book on one or two occasions) I guess maybe its a topic that does not come up very often as it would have been taboo, but one would think that somewhere someone else would have mentioned it. Does anyone know of any incidents? This would make an interesting topic to explore possibly? Other than that an excellent book and well worth the read.

Jon

I haven't read this book but my attention was drawn by the reference to drug addiction. All large seaports throughout the 19th century and into the 20th had problems with drug addiction. A commonplace in references to London's Chinatown was the opium dens. Sherlock Holmes was an addict. Not nearly as widespread as misuse of alcohol but it certainly existed in the population and was almost certainly reflected in the army.

Spoilers!!!!

I was not detailed enough. One of the characters becomes a morphine addict using the ampules given to the soldiers. He and his cousin eventually actually shoot up with syringes and everything. I did not think this was very widespread at the time and have seen no references to this use specifically.

Jon

What are now illicit or prescription drugs at that time were not, and were easily obtainable from 'chemists' and even included in significant quantities in many 'patent medicines'. Frank Richards mentions two old soldiers who smoked cocaine in cigarettes.

One must remember that perceptions and attitudes were different at that time.

Medical personnel did become addicts on occasion, but they had comparatively easy access to the drugs and hygienic equipment to inject with etc.

The idea of front line soldiers injecting anything strikes me as ludicrous given conditions in the trenches, nor did they have any need to when powdered cocaine and opium where no doubt available to be smoked.

A case of the writer 'injecting', for want of a better word, contemporary behavior into a historical situation. Lack of research I assume.

• 1 year later...

Spoiler:

Moprhine addiction in injured men returning is acknowledged. I think what is in question is would a front line soldier become an addict? To be fair to the plot few do indulge and one can see why one of them would. I think it is a shame that Boyden doesn't site a reading list as most historical novels do. He makes mention of a historian and Cree sources and I find it hard to believe there is no substance to this story line.