The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Frog for Chilean M1895 Bayonet

BStaples

When in doubt... ask the experts!

Does anyone have a photo of a frog for the Chilean M1895 Bayonet?

I have the bayonet & would like to display it with the correct frog. By "correct", I mean a frog that would have been issued for/with the bayonet.

Alternatively, a period frog that would have been paired / used with the bayonet in general service.

Thanks,

Brad

When in doubt... ask the experts!

Does anyone have a photo of a frog for the Chilean M1895 Bayonet?

I have the bayonet & would like to display it with the correct frog. By "correct", I mean a frog that would have been issued for/with the bayonet.

Alternatively, a period frog that would have been paired / used with the bayonet in general service.

Thanks,

Brad

Brad, Not an expert - but I have books! Before I scurry off to look through books, perhaps a silly question but.... Chilean M95 in service with the Chileans or someone else?

Although obviously the design of the scabbard has some impact, I think the frog is usually determined by the equipment of the army using the bayonet rather than the bayonet itself ....isn't it? So for example from the WWI period a British p1888 , p1903, p1907 and p1913 (possible also a Ross?) bayonet would all be at home in a p08 (webbing) or p14 (leather) frog as would, I suspect, an UK issued Arisaka (or Chilean Mauser?)

Chris

Brad, Not an expert - but I have books! Before I scurry off to look through books, perhaps a silly question but.... Chilean M95 in service with the Chileans or someone else?

Although obviously the design of the scabbard has some impact, I think the frog is usually determined by the equipment of the army using the bayonet rather than the bayonet itself ....isn't it? So for example from the WWI period a British p1888 , p1903, p1907 and p1913 (possible also a Ross?) bayonet would all be at home in a p08 (webbing) or p14 (leather) frog as would, I suspect, an UK issued Arisaka (or Chilean Mauser?)

Chris

I've been told that it's mate is a Chilean made 1895 Mauser rifle. Hope that helps.

The army using the bayonet... good point. I really don't know.

Thanks,

Brad

I've been told that it's mate is a Chilean made 1895 Mauser rifle. Hope that helps.

The army using the bayonet... good point. I really don't know.

Thanks,

Brad

OK - I'll have a look. The reason I asked is I believe the UK took over a small number of Chilean Mausers (in 7mm) during WWI as a secondary arm and therefore if it was in British service I assume it would have been in a P08 frog.

Hopefully TonyE will see this thread - he can probably answer your query.

I'll away and look at books!

Chris

Is this the same bayonet as the Belgian Comblain? If so that would be easier to find.

Gunner Bailey

The 7mm Chilean Mausers were acquired when the Royal Navy took over two Chilean battlecruisers building in the UK at the outbreak of war. One became HMS Canada and the other the aircraft carrier HMS Eagle.

Some of the rifles went to HMS Canada and others to arm various secondary vessels and Defensively Armed Merchant Ships (DAMS).

I know of several confirmed examples, all with a low A series serial number , two of which have a large stamped "4B" on the buttt. Since Canada was in the 4th Battlecruiser Squadron it appears that this was an RN applied stamp.

I know of no webbing or leather equipment that came with the rifles, unlike the Japanese Arisakas which had leather equipment with them, known as "Pattern J" in British service. This suggests that British frogs were probably used by the naval personel, but the civilian crews of the DAMS etc. seem not have had frogs.

The picture shows an unknown group of British merchant seamen practising fixing bayonets, most of which have Ross Mark III rifles, but two have Chilean Mausers, complete with bayonet. (front rank left and rear rank second left).

Both British and US made ammunition was issued with these rifles.

Regards

TonyE

The 7mm Chilean Mausers were acquired when the Royal Navy took over two Chilean battlecruisers building in the UK at the outbreak of war. One became HMS Canada and the other the aircraft carrier HMS Eagle.

Some of the rifles went to HMS Canada and others to arm various secondary vessels and Defensively Armed Merchant Ships (DAMS).

I know of several confirmed examples, all with a low A series serial number , two of which have a large stamped "4B" on the buttt. Since Canada was in the 4th Battlecruiser Squadron it appears that this was an RN applied stamp.

I know of no webbing or leather equipment that came with the rifles, unlike the Japanese Arisakas which had leather equipment with them, known as "Pattern J" in British service. This suggests that British frogs were probably used by the naval personel, but the civilian crews of the DAMS etc. seem not have had frogs.

The picture shows an unknown group of British merchant seamen practising fixing bayonets, most of which have Ross Mark III rifles, but two have Chilean Mausers, complete with bayonet. (front rank left and rear rank second left).

Both British and US made ammunition was issued with these rifles.

Regards

TonyE

Hello Tony E,

What a marvellous photo, has to be the very model of a SM'sn most beloved nightmare.

Parade ground roars such as "Do....not...look...down....for....it, feeel for it" spring to mind.

Just a thought.

C.T.

It is one of my favourite photographs, especially the guy in the rear rank with the Chilean Mauser held between his knees.

Regards

TonyE

It is one of my favourite photographs, especially the guy in the rear rank with the Chilean Mauser held between his knees.

Looks like he had earlier military training.

cracking photo TonyE. Is it from your collection or the IWM?

If its yours, could i be incredibly cheeky and ask for a scan?

Wouldnt mind printing it off and putting it up on the wall.

cheers

baz

just noticed the bloke in the front rank extreme right holding his bayonet out in front.

Is he acting as marker for "unfix bayonts"?

Anyone else notice that the chap second from the left front rank, has the bolt open and fully to the rear.....how bad can it get!

"You're an absolute shower, and I must be a shower too, to be in command of rotters like you!" etc etc

Tocemma

cracking photo TonyE. Is it from your collection or the IWM?

If its yours, could i be incredibly cheeky and ask for a scan?

Wouldnt mind printing it off and putting it up on the wall.

cheers

baz

As far as I know it is not an IWM photo. I received it from a pal in Australia who scanned it from an old magazine, so you are welcome to have a copy. It is not in brilliant condition but you may be able to enhance it.

PM me with your e-mail address and i will send it to you.

Regards

TonyE