The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Garrison Artillery

alison

40939 Cpl. W. Semple, RGA (enlisted from Kirkintilloch) was awarded the DCM in the London Gazette of 21 Oct 18 with the following citation: "For conspicuous gallanry and devotion to duty. He carried out his duties under the most trying conditions and under very heavy shell fire. On many occasions, owing to casualties, he had to carry out the duties of senior non-commissioned officers, and never failed to do so."

Regards. Dick Flory

dick flory

Thank you very much for your time and research.

Would you have any details of his unit.

Sorry to ask but I am unable to go to the PRO and would really like to find out more about his time in the RGA.

Thank you for your help

alison.

Alison: My databases cover only officers but I have gone through my RGA unit histories for the Great War and finally found your Cpl. Semple's unit. He served with the 76th Siege Battery, RGA and is mentioned in their unit history "The History of 76 Siege Battery R.G.A." by L. F. Penstone, who was a member of that unit.

The 76th Siege Battery, RGA was formed at Harwich in August 1915. Half of the officers and men in the original battery were drawn from the Essex and Sussex RGA (T) and the other half from individuals serving in the Regular Army, the Special Reserve and the New Army (Bombardier W. Semple was one of the regulars who joined the battery at this time). In December 1915 the battery moved to Lydd for training. On 15 March 1916 the battery left Lydd to mobilize at Bristol and then moved to Southampton for shipment to France. At 7am on 28 March 1916 the battery left for Harve on the Hattonia, and despite a gale made Havre at 3am. After a days rest at No. 4 Rest Camp the battery entrained for Rouen and then via Abbeville, Doullens, Puchevillers and Bouzincourt, it reached Albert on 2 April 1916. At Albert the battery was assigned to the 25th Heavy Artillery Group (HAG) under 10th Corps and fought on the Somme from May 1916 to March 1917.

In March 1917 the battery moved to the Arras sector and took up positions at Maroeuil near the Arras-St. Eloi road. In this position it came under the command of the 13th HAG under the Canadian Corps. It took part in the battle for Vimy Ridge. On 17th May it transferred to the 50th HAG and in late May the battery moved to the Ypres Salient were it came under 70th HAG and later 90th HAG.

On 3 March 1918 the battery was once again on the move - this time back to the Somme where it took up positions near Hermies, not far from the main Bapaume-Cambrai road. On 22 March 1918 the battery took part in the retreat caused by the German March Offensive, ending up near Albert for a few days and then moving again, finally taking up positions at Herissart, ten miles west of Albert on 11 April.

In early May the battery moved from Herissart to Forceville and took up positions in a cornfield on the Varennes road. "The first casualties in this position were caused when a dud shell arrived and crashed into a dugout and buried a number of men. A party at once proceeded to dig them out, and though most were got out alive, some were wounded and two, unfortunately, were dead. It was understood that the act of rescue was treated as a case of collective gallantry under shell fire, and Lieut. Grange was awarded the Military Cross, Sergt. Semple the D.C.M., and Sergt. Mudge, the Military Medal.

The Allied offensive in the later part of 1918 caused the battery to make many hurried moves. It moved to Mesnil near Hamel, then on to Bellacourt, to St. Ledger, Pronville (a strong point in the Hindenburg Line) and then to Cambrai where it stayed until the Armistice.

In the list of "Old Comrades Association of the 76th Siege Battery" he is shown as Sergt. W. Semple, DCM, Watleys End, Winterbourne, near Bristol.

I hope this is all of some use. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick Flory

Thank you so very much for all the information.I am lost for words.

It was much more than I ever expected and will help me a great deal in my research.

There is no doubt that this is the correct man from the address you gave.

Thank you again for you kindness in taking the time and trouble to find this for me and for such a fast reply.

Thank you

Alison