The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RAMC

Guest tonia

Hi.

In starting to research my family tree, an aunty sent a lot of heavily detailed information about the family.

At the time, I only wanted names and dates, but now I'm more interested in filling the gaps, so am taking notes of a few of these details.

Part of the information she has given is "grandad Handford [Albert Henry] was a miller, he served in the Greatwar in RAMC"

I believed the RAMC to be Medical Corps?

Would he have served in a medical unit without coming from a medical background?

I would have thought they'd have enlisted doctors/nurses etc, rather than millers?

Is it likely that aunty has gotten confused with something else?

She does have all her faculties, but is approaching 100, so her memory is not always 100% accurate.

Thanks

Tonia

Tonia.

Yep.Would have "non-skilled" as, for examples, stretcher bearers and drivers. Check out the Long Long Trail for loads more info.

John

Thanks John.

I'd assumed they'd want a medical background for anyone working in the medical corps.

I'll have a proper read of the website!

Tonia.

The RAMC would have (and still does) had officers both as medical officers (doctors) and in admin roles within larger medical units, field ambulances and hospitals. Junior ranks would often have a medical background or interest such as being in the equivilent of the ST Johns ambulance, but due to the wide range of task, stretcher bearers, medical orderlies, hygiene sections, many without this grounding would go into the RAMC. One other possibility is that I believe some who didn't wish to bear arms also choose the RAMC.

If you interested in going further into the RAMCs history it has a museum at its Regimental home, Keogh Barracks, Ash Vale, near Mitchem, Surrey (if memory serves me right).

Ali

(ex RAMC- but in more modern times!)

Thats Mychett, near Camberley, Surrey.

Regards

Jimmy

(Ex RAMC - fairly recently)