The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The most original research about the British Army over the last 25 yea

Rodge Dowson

Lots of publications hit the shelves each week about the Great War and the British Army, how much of this work is really new and which titles have you read that cover something that had been missed out or 'Forgotten'?

Rodge

I think Dave [ mruk ] is bringing a new slant throu his research to the article's he has written and the future one's that will appear in the WFA's Stand TO. It's all new and fresh, and his research is 2nd to none, the best i have seen, hopefully given the time something will appear on the bookshelf's.

Keep it hope Dave.

And to all our Polish readers, Wesolych Swait.

Ca Ira

Regards evin

Rodge

As a general comment, I'd suggest some of the various "new style" battalion histories which, apart from telling that unit's story as a work of history, also focus on the "other ranks" in a way that those written in the 20s and 30s did not.

As a subject (and definitely without wishing to open another debate) I think the various "shot at dawn" books can be regarded as "new".

John

John,

I totally agree, the unit histories arriving on the shelves are from the perspective of the soldier. They make good reading

Cheers Andy.

John,

I totally agree, the unit histories arriving on the shelves are from the perspective of the soldier. They make good reading

Cheers Andy.

I agree also far better to bring the OR's in than books which I call 'books written about the officers for the officers by an officer'......although regretfully IMHO a few like this still get printed today and aren't that good.....they also usually seem to be someone Phd thesis........

...far better to bring the OR's in than books which I call 'books written about the officers for the officers by an officer'....

I suppose it depends on what one is looking for in a book about the war. A book review I posted here written by a retired officer in a U.S. Army military journal said the following:

...the bulk of recent writings associated with the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I have focused at the personal or tactical level of warfare. While many of these works have been well received and informative, they have offered little beyond reaffirming what was already known.

There's something to be said for each approach: the common soldier books give a feel for what the war must have been like, and the "officer" type of books address the operational situations of the war, what leaders did to resolve them, and what might have been done better.

I would echo Pete here. It depends on what you are looking for. I tend to be interested in the war rather than battles, strategy rather than tactics. From that perspective, I am keen to know what Haig, French, Joffre, Foch, Falkenhayn and Pershing thought and did. What did Wilson, Lloyd George and Clemenceau say and believe.

Personally, This one - click did it for me.

Excellent, thought-provoling book.