The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mauser M1918 13.2 x 92mmSR (13mm T.U.F)

ozhunter

Hello

New to the forum.

I reside in Central West NSW, Australia.

Can anyone point me to specs for the above mentioned case and rifle, particularly case dimensions.

Thanks

Adam

I have the British drawing of the round together with specs. I will post later when I have found them in my imperfecr filing system.

Happy Christmas

TonyE

A particularly large rifle, compare it to the standard long arms on the board behind.

It would be an interesting weapon to fire, but less interesting to carry about.

Merry Xmas all.

post-6040-1230130154.jpg

Ozhunter:-

The British captured the first T-Gewehr in September 1918 and tested it in October. The results were reported initially in Small Arms Committeee Minute 135 and then in more detail in Minute 152 in November. The attached drawing forms part on Minute 152.

If you would like a copy of those minutes plus an article from a few years ago in the International Ammunition Association Journal, send me a PM with your e-mail address. I wil also send a high res. version of the drawing.

Bullet weight of the AP (SmK) was 797 grns, but this was increased with a heavier core in November 1918 to 810 grns. Only SmK was actually issued to the troops for the T-Gewehr, but other loads were being developed for the TuF machine gun. In addition to SmK these were SmL'L (APT), PmK (Incend) and S.Pr.

Regards

TonyE

For some reason it will not let me load an 87Kb image - I will try again.

Thankyou Tony PM sent.

A particularly large rifle, compare it to the standard long arms on the board behind.

It would be an interesting weapon to fire, but less interesting to carry about.

Merry Xmas all.

Interesting indeed. I am up for most things when it comes to firing the big bores, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to fire one of these monsters.

Adam

In fact a limiting factor in its use was that the gunner quickly developed a very bruised shoulder. The rifle had a 2 man team. No one was the main 'gunner' and no 2 the ammunition carrier. But the no 2 was also trained to fire the rifle so that he could take over when no 1 could no longer fire the weapon.

If you can find a copy of the video America's First Battle Tank, produced by the collector Hayes Otoupalik, it has a section about the Mauser T-Gewehr, including a firing demonstration.

The man who fired it told me that he took into account what he'd heard about the Germans who used the weapon: If prone, never fire it with your body in line with the rifle. Instead, lie with your body at least 20 degrees--preferably more--off the center line.

(I was going to upload a photo of the right position, but this here Web site keeps telling me that my 16k image is 1.29MB. Whatever.)

Anyway, if you line up your body with the rifle when you fire it, you're in danger of damaging your back from the recoil. In the video referenced above, you can see the that when the man fires it from a position with his body canted off to one side, the recoil still nearly knocks him over from his belly onto his side.

Search "anti-tank rifles" and "antitank rifles" on Youtube, and you'll find plenty of videos of people firing all sorts of insane giant-caliber weapons.

Also, this Web page shows a model kit of a Mauser T-Gewehr gunner, apparently based on an actual incident. Scroll down and read the translation of the after-action report. Pretty interesting stuff.

http://www.jonsmith-modellbau.com/index.ph...146&clang=1

• 2 weeks later...

This was not one of those guns men fired from the hip, but no doubt it would be in a Hollywood film!