The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Which Memorial Has The Fewest Names?

Tims

The memorial at Tyringham in Buckinghamshire has three names on it (plus one for WW2). Are there any out there with less?

Tim

There are plenty of memorials with only one name - what do you mean by memorials?

There is a village memorial in Shalbourne Wilts with three names of men who died in the 2nd Afghan War serving with the 66th Regiment

Pte George Tuttle

Corporal Joseph Cope

Private Charles Rolfe

all died 27th July 1880

regards

John

There's a couple with 2 on in Shrops. Civic and Parish memorials that is.

Neil

And, of course, there are many church memorials to individuals

Indeed, i've around 100 of those in the county.

Neil

Tim

Do you have a photo of the Tyringham War Memorial that includes the names of those who died? We are compiling a website of Bucks War Memorials which is regularly updated. At present we are researching the south of the county, so haven't reached the Tyringham area yet. If you are able to take a photo or already have one that you would be willing for us to use, then it could be added to the website straight away.

Any help would be very welcome.

June

The Cenotaph at Glasgow doesn't have any names on it. The Roll of the Fallen for Glasgow, however, contains nearly 18,500 names...

The memorial at Tyringham in Buckinghamshire has three names on it (plus one for WW2). Are there any out there with less?

Tim

The Tyringham memorial, btw, is the work of Lutyens. There is a chapter about it in the new (highly recommended) book "Lutyens and the Great War"

Alan

June - I have sent you a photo and press articles about the soldiers commemorated to your e mail address

Magic Rat - Thanks for your recommendation - I am one of the co-authors so it's always nice to know that ones labours are appreciated!.

Tim

Very many thanks for the photo and articles and will be added to the website soon. A PM is on its way.

June

Tim

Very many thanks for the photo and articles and will be added to the website soon. A PM is on its way.

June

I must say very cool website. :D

[quote Tims

Thanks for your recommendation - I am one of the co-authors so it's always nice to know that ones labours are appreciated!.]

Thanks for writting this book, it has been a great help for my dissatation, much gratitude. :D