The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Reccomended Reading?

G.Driver 10thLF

I'm currently picking my way through richard holmes "tommy" and am throughly enjoying it. Can anyone suggest any more good books on ww1? I'm interested in all aspects of the war but would like to know abit more about weaponry and uniforms. Any help would be grand.

- graham

I'm finding Andrew Rawson's 'The British Army Handbook 1914-1918' invaluable.

Everything you need to know about the British Army in WW1, it covers mobilization & training, organization, tactics & weapons & more. A book I keep coming back to as I research my WW1 family history.

"A Western Front Companion 1914-1918" by John Laffin gives a broad A-Z Source to the Battles, Weapons, People, Places, Uniforms, Slang etc.....

Steve. :rolleyes:

I would also suggest, that if you're enjoying Richard Holme's 'Tommy', you might take a look at his book 'Shots from the Front'

I got it after finishing 'Tommy' & enjoyed it immensely, full of fascinating photographs.

Graham - why not have a read of a book title by the same name 'Tommy' written by Thomas Albert Crawford, 15th DLI. I have just finished reading Somme Mud which is another excellent book and not unlike 'Tommy'. I am somewhat biased though as I am the son of Tommy Crawford. Synopsis shown below. Regards, Brian

Woodfield Publishing Ltd

~ Independent UK Book Publishers ~

Woodfield House ~ Babsham Lane ~ Bognor Regis ~ West Sussex ~ PO21 5EL ~ England

Telephone 01243 821234 (9am-5pm Mon-Fri ~ 24-hour answering service out of hours)

Royalties from the sale of this book will be donated to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

This is an extremely well written account of one man's experience of the First World War. Tommy Crawford's story may not be unique, but he tells it in such a powerful manner that he brings the events he describes vividly to life. He recalls not only the grim realities of war but also the pride and comradeship he found in the Army, which made him reluctant to re-join civvy street.

The poems that appear at various points are reminiscent of Kipling in the way they express the sentiments of the ordinary soldier, obviously based on Tommy's personal experiences, but universalized to include those of 'Tommy Atkins'.

The book is as much a piece of social history as it is an autobiography, revealing much about the attitudes of servicemen and the civilian population to the war and also serving as a poignant memorial to the many men of the Durham Light Infantry who did not return. Brian Crawford.

Dawn suddens up

and still I hear the crimson chorus of the guns

Look! like a ball of blood the sun

Hangs o'er the scene of

wrath and wrong.

Quick! Stretcher-bearers on

the run!

Oh Prince of Peace! How

Long, how Long?

From a poem by Tommy Crawford

Just finished up "The First World War" by Hew Strachan. Found it to be wonderfully written and very well organized. The book is thematic in approach and covers the entire war in ten chapters. Has anyone read "The First World War: Volume I: To Arms" by the same author? If so, what are your thoughts?

Cheers

I have found Charles Messenger's Call To Arms: The British Army 1914-18 (2005) an extremely useful book and in my opionion is probably the best introduction to the army for this period.

Bootneck