The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The 6th Connaught Rangers - Belfast Nationalists & the Great War

Brian Curragh

Haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere -

The 6th Connaught Rangers Research Project have just brought out a 80 page book(let) that is described as " a snap shot of young Nationalists who joined the 6th Connaught Rangers from the Falls and other areas of Belfast."

The first half of the book deals with the Battalion while the second half looks in more detail at the stories of 7 individual soldiers. The book ends with a listing of the enlistees from Belfast.

The project has been supported and directed by Dr Stephen Grayson, Head of Politics at Goldsmiths, University of London.

And leaving the best bit until last - it is free.

Full details including the contact numbers to call to request a copy are on the attached web page U105 Radio.

My copy arrived a few days after a phone call. I have not read it as yet so cannot offer any critical review - it does look to be well put together though with photographs, maps & references.

Brian

Sounds good .. I know that there is a great deal of interest growing in the history of these men. I have a number of 6th Rangers from my own hometown so I will try an dget ahold of this. Ta for the heads-up.

Des

Hi All,

I have read this book and found more imformation on 6th BN Connaught Rangers by reading this then i have from researching their history for over 5 years.

Regards,

Dave.

Hi,

Just ordered a copy today Tuesday 20 Jan and they say they have about 40 copies left.

Regards Mark

Just rang the Ulster Historical Foundation and they are out of stock....

I ordered my copy from the '6th Connaught Rangers Research Project'

Regards Mark

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the link. That's great.

A few months back I called into the Royal Ulster Rifles Museum. The bloke in there was telling me that the people behind the 6th Connaught project had promised them some copies of the book but unfortunately they never materialised. However, he did say that the same people had been in contact recently to tell him that a new 'volume 2' was being worked on and that they would give a few to the museum. It wasn't clear (to me anyway) whether by 'volume 2' they meant a brand new Connaught project or an updated 6th Bn volume. I haven't heard much about it since then.