The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Postcards from the Trenches

4thGordons

"compelling... fascinating and unprecedented".

Hyperbole.

Nicely produced little collection of images in their original size, but frankly I would wait until it gets remaindered. Sorry not to be more welcoming, but anyone who is even vaugely familiar with WW1 period postcards is likely to be underwhelmed. Nice little pressie, but bigger better collections with informative commentary are available.

Have to agree with Kate. Anyone wanting a "taster" of postcards would find it interesting, I certainly did, but the captions in some instances, are so way off the mark I laughed out loud.

What recommendations would you have for "Bigger, Better collections" Kate?

I was a little dissapointed with this little book. The vast majority of images used have been seen before in other publications, and why keep using the Daily Mail postcard series. If better quality/different images were used it would have been a nice book.

Right then...remaindered it is. Although it is apparently on sale at Amazon now.

I too would be interested in other suggestions based on postcards.

thanks!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Two older books (but both can be found on Amazon) that I like are:

World War I in Postcards, John Laffin (b&w images only)

Till the Boys Come Home, Tonie and Valmai Holt

I would start searching for contemporary cards in all outlets from junk shops, local auctions through collectors fairs through to postcard fairs. Pick p the ones that appeal to you and remember that the messages on the back can be as interesting (or as boring) as the pictures on the other side.

I have a card of Woolwich Arsenal and the message on the rear tells the recipient that although there was a big explosion nearby the sender was safe and unaffected. The explosion was that at Silvertown where explosives were made. Others say nothing more that "Hoping this finds you as it leaves me in the pink".

Martin's suggestion is sound. The cards are out there and many fine examples can be found, sometimes very cheaply. Messages on the rear are a bonus and can lead to hours of research trying to track down information about the writer and recipient.

A Google search will reveal numerous sites on postcards.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the comments made so far regarding this book. I also agree with the comment about 'Till the Boys Come Home'. It was published in 1977 and it still remains the best by far. A series of PC books on individual topics eg Medical, POW's published by Reflections of a Golden Age, 27 Debdale Lane,Keyworth, Nottingham-Author Tont Allen are excellent.

The best book I have found on French WW1 is 'Le Roman-Photo de La Grande Guerre' by Serge Zeyons. I bought this at the Museum in Peronne and I think it was still there last year.

Andrew