The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lost Battalions

Martin Bennitt

I'm just about to launch into this weighty book, subtitled 'The Great War and the Crisis of American Nationality', which according to the blurb focuses on the black 369th Infantry 'Harlem Hell Fighters', and the 'Lost Battalion' of the 77th, comprising New York City immigrants, whose heroism failed to change their second class status in society despite official promises.

I will post a review in due course, but just wondering if anyone else on the forum had read this and could give his or her opinion.

cheers Martin B

I have not read Slotkin but the main themes of his writings are said to be racism and violence in American society, not military history. He wrote a trilogy deconstructing the Wild West myth.

I have read it and it's quite good. You realize how Jewish the Lost Battalion was and the account of the black unit is quite good too, well written and researched.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've finally finished this book after some three weeks, but in no way is it hard going. It is however more than 550 pages long, an intensely written narrative about events which, as an Englishman, were almost totally foreign to me, and possibly to a lot of Americans, as the historical background is very well explained. The account centres on the 369th Infantry, who became known as the Harlem Hellfighters and fought with the French, and the 308th of the 77th Division, comprising so-called hyphenates, Irish, Jewish and other immigrants who were cut off during Meuse-Argonne and were dubbed the Lost Battalion. Both came from New York City, both were viewed with contempt by US society, and both believed that their heroism would win them a better place in that society after the war. For the White 308th and other members of the 77th it happened to some extent, for the Black 369th, which had been treated more or less as equals by the French and been awarded the Croix de Guerre, nothing changed. What their war experience did; however, was to give them a sense of pride and self-confidence which enabled them to begin the long climb towards something like equality in the face of huge obstacles.

Slotkin writes well, vividly portrays the terrible conditions in which these soldiers fought, and clearly analyses American society of the time. There are also good portraits of the leading characters, such as Major Charles Whittlesea, commander of the Lost Battalion, who later committed suicide, Private Henry Johnson, who became an instant hero back home after a battle in no man's land with a group of Germans and his fame lasted for some time after the war; but he died alone and in absolute poverty; and jazz pioneer Lt James Reese Europe, who led the 369th's band in the homecoming parade through New York but was stabbed to death by one of his musicians in May 1919, and Horace Pippin, who became a well-known artist.

A very recommendable book all round, apart from the disappointing lack of photographs, though there are basic maps and some line illustrations. Though US published it's available on UK Am**z**.

cheers Martin B