The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Recommended Reading on First Ypres

Can anyone recommend any reading on 1st Ypres, I've recently finished Wipers by Tim Carew which whetted my appetite for the early stages in the salient, so would like pals advise as to what to pick up next to further my knowledge on this fascinating period.

Cheers

Sean

Sean

You could try Ypres 1914 by Ian Beckett, ISBN 1 4058 3620 2, and Anthony Farrar-Hockley's Death of an Army, no ISBN in my edition.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Fifteen Rounds a Minute by J M Craster gives a good battalion level viewpoint, in this case the 2 Battalion Grenadier Guards.

Ali

I've a fascination with First Ypres so here goes: although it is by an American academic - with many of the problems that such authorship brings the reader - Trial by Fire: Command of the British Expeditionary Force in 1914 by Nikolas Gardner, Praeger, 2003 is worth a try. I don't like either of Carew's books, they read well of course but are unreferenced and noted and I have reason to believe - not certain - that some of the conversation quoted in his Ypres Book is taken from a BBC play rather than reality. Please note I do not state this as a fact it was a conclusion which I reached when searching archives in which I found the play (and I like notes and refs). Farrar-Hockley's book (dreadful maps in all editions) was written pre release of War Diaries, but I think stands-up pretty well despite his obvious dislike of Henry Rawlinson. Becket is good on Ypres and for a good BEF overview I rate Farewell Leicester Square very highly - a very good book indeed I think, but you "may 'ave 'eard different".

Add to the list

Ypres 1914 by Farrar-Hockley

Thanks for those everyone, I have actually purchased Beckett's 1st Ypres but was seeing if there was anything more highly recommended before I started on this, I will endeavour to get a copy of Ypres 1914 by Farrar-Hockley and give that the once over too.

With regards Carew I had noticed it has been mentioned a few times that his references were not strictly kosher (alledgedly) but found that it didn't necessarily detract from the general overview of the battle, and was certainly a very readable book.

Thanks again

Sean

Trial by Fire: Command of the British Expeditionary Force in 1914 by Nikolas Gardner, Praeger, 2003 is worth a try.

........... I rate Farewell Leicester Square very highly - a very good book indeed I think, but you "may 'ave 'eard different".

The first I would love to read but when I looked a copy was a re-mortgage issue!!!

As for Kate Caffrey and her book, one of the first influential books I read when I got going on WW1 seriously. Well worth a read.

I can not add anything further to this list.

regards

Arm

Arm,

Well worth a punt on Amazon used copies or abebooks - both regularly save me money. Buying from the US has also been well worthwhile (until the bankers b******d the pound) and it's worth looking at the actual price when converted even now for possible cost savings. Official History volumes - particularly late ones - are frequently much cheaper than in the UK (or have been) The great thing I have found about book dealers in the US is the speed and lack of drama with which they despatch - more than once I have had books ordered the same day quicker from the US and than the UK. Always worthwhile asking them to use standard us post and pack - about $7 from memory. Otherwise do what I do - use my State Pension to buy books (and wine).

Best regards

David

David,

Thats very kind of you to let me use your state pension to buy my books and wine, I will PM you my address so you can send the cheque! :P

Just checked Abebooks-still re-mortgage I am afraid!

Regards

Arm