The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

William Stokes KRRC

Guest Stokes74

Guest Stokes74

I am trying to trace my grandad in WW1. I'm not having much luck, someone has told me to try th absent voters list? Can anyone give me more information as to where and how I find out about this? Also how old did a man have to be to vote in 1918 as my grandad would have only been 19 then.

Many thanks

In 1918 voting reforms fixed voting ages at 21 for men and 30 for women. These where new laws at the time and remained in place for about 10 years. Hope this helps.

Brum

Absent voters list is going to be no use I'm afraid. Voting age was 21 so your relative wouldnt be on it.

For info, the list will be at your local history library or county records office (assuming it still exists). The info it would contain depends on the type of area. My recollection from when we've discussed this before (and from my own experince) is that lists for urban areas will usually give details of the battalion/regiment of the absent voter. Lists for rural areas are likely to just indicate army or navy.

The actual voters list may still be of use to you in that it may be possible to identify where his parents were living. Presumably you've also had a nosy at the 1901 Census for the area?

John

Guest Stokes74

Thanks for the quick replies. I do know where he lived and his next of kin, but I still can't find out what battalion of the KRRC he was in or his Regimental number.

Thanks for your help so far.

Hi Stokes74

Your best bet to find which battalion (s) your grandad served in would be to find his name in the medal index cards then look at medal roll page (s) shown on the index card, see Chris' main site, The Long Long Trail, it will tell you how to go about finding his name in the index cards.

Annette

Guest Stokes74

thanks again for the reply and advice.

My problem is I did check the medal index cards but there are to many W stokes in the KRRC or even William Stokes in the KRRC. I cannot narrow it down as there is not enough information on the cards.

I do know his next of kin, and home address etc. but I'm now stuck!!!

Three further possibilities - all longish shots, I'm afraid.

First, check to see if his service papers still exist on microfilm at the National Archives. It will mean ploughing through all the W Stokes (see Grandads War section on the mother site) and only about a 40% chance of finding something.

Second, try the regimental museum to see if they have any reference. Very much a long shot.

Third, a trawl of the local newspapers of the time. Best bet would be, say, the very local weekly paper. You never know there might be reference to him joining, being home on leave, beuing wounded, etc.

If all that fails, then I suspect that you are stuck.

Good luck

John

Hi Stokes74

My problem is I did check the medal index cards but there are to many W stokes in the KRRC or even William Stokes in the KRRC.

After I had posted my reply that problem did pop into my head. Try John's three ideas, the ocal newspapers of the time is a good one.

Good Luck with you hunt

Annette