The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gallipoli Guidebooks

AlanCurragh

We are getting ready for our trip to the Dardanelles in April and I'm wondering what guidebooks I should have. Ideally I'd like to get them in advance rather than wait until we are there.

I've already got the Holts book and am wondering what else is out there. I've seen mention of Phil Taylor and Pam Cupper's Australian guide but it seems very expensive (plus I can only find the 1990 edition for sale online, not the 2000 one), and also the bilingual Turkish/English guide published a year or so ago (I've found a copy of this available online from Turkey at a cost of around £30)

Do pals have any comments about the two books, or indeed any others I may not be aware of?

Many thanks

Alan

Alan,

Here is some.

In the footsteps of history: a guide to the Gallipoli

Major & Mrs Holt's Illustrated Guide to the Gallipoli Battlefields (Pen & Sword 2000)

Gallipoli - A Battlefield Guide (Kangaroo Press 1989).

Cheers Andy.

Personally, I think the Taylor/Cupper book is a first class battlefield guide. Arguably one of the best to any battlefield and well worth what you have to pay for a copy now.

Stephen Chambers' two books in the Battleground Europe series are also worth having; Steve is member 'Krithia' here.

Steve Newman's 'Gallipoli Then & Now' (After The Battle) is also great to have with you on a trip.

Not sure if you have had a look at my Gallipoli pages as yet?

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/gallipo...attlefields.htm

Alan

Not a guide book but a collection of papers presented at an International Conference at Canakkale Mart University in 2000 gives some fascinating insights in to the campaign from a number of international perspectives.

In particular, a Turkish speaker put forward the view that the Turks chose to be 'unaware' of the withdrawal because, as he says, of manpower problems on the Turkish side and a general war weariness.

ISBN 975-8100-11-4

Probably best acquired in Turkey.

Have a good trip.

Martin

Thanks Andy, Paul and Martin for your suggestions and comments. I'm not sure I can persuade myself that the Taylor/Cupper book is worth over £50!

I'd forgotten about the "Then and Now" book - I'll dig my copy out.

Alan