The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

George Lea 25508 1st Kings Own Royal Lancaster Reg

Guest phil b

George Lea 25508 1st Battlion Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment died at home on the 6th November 1918 at Burton on Trent. He was buried on the 11/11/1918 in stapenhill cemetery Burton on Trent. (I have the CWGC casualty details and his death certificate.)

The family story "handed down" is that he returned from the war carring the effects of gas and died as a result. Can anyone enlighten me about how to expand on his war service. I have some Information about The KOR Lancs but not much on his servive record.

Hi Phil

Have been researching a 7th Beds soldier, and looking for detail of what he and his unit were up to all war. If it helps, the Beds Regimental War Diaries are at the Beds County Offices, so the local offices in Lancs may keep the equivelant? Was surprised how much info the diaries had; battle accounts, wounded, missing etc lists by the day in question, awards etc etc.... may be worth a try if u havent already?

Steve

Phil

Welcome to the Forum. Can I suggest that you first have a look at the mother site. Click on the link to the Long Long Trail (top left of this page). If you then look at the section "Grandad's war", it'll point you in the right direction. You'll also find lots of general info that should help.

You would also find that the regimental museum at Lancaster will be very helpful, although it's most unlikely that they would have any speciific reference to George.

Good luck

John

Hi Steve

Thanks for the information I hope to get up to Lancaster soon I will add it to my "things to try" listing.

Regards

Phil

No problem Phil.

May be worth calling the Co Offices' Archive section? If they do have on line, then may save a journey?

Steve