The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Add this book to your next N&MP order!

Jonathan Saunders

Not a review but recommendation.

My latest bulk purchase from N&M Press arrived yesterday. Un-be-known to me I had added a little gem - Civil Service Rifles in the Great War: "All Bloody Gentleman" by Jill Knight.

I only added this title as it was under £5 but a quick perusal last night and i would say it is easily worth that amount for the photos contained within. There are photos of individuals, groups, officers, ORs etc, and a large quantity of them identified or partially identified.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Thanks, JS. Our very own Mr S Gunner was a colleague of the late Jill Knight, and he's a great advocate of the book, too. I will have a word with Mrs B and see if she can afford it, or if I need to get it delivered to work. ;)

I am on a yellow card for buying books over the past couple of months but I have been very good in January only having bought one so I will order this and perhaps a couple or several more after perusing the site.

Thanks, JS. Our very own Mr S Gunner was a colleague of the late Jill Knight

If memory serves Jill used to be a member of this forum.

Regards

Mike S

Yes, All Bloody Gentlemen is one of the best regimental histories that I have read. Jill was also a stalwart member of the WFA's London Branch and it remembers her in the form of the Jill Knight Memorial Lecture, which is delivered each November.

Charles M

Totally agree with all of you. I bought it a couple of months ago from N&MP, got a fair old library from them now, and it's a stunning book.

Cheers Andy.

This book grew out of Jill's work on the Board of Trade Memorial project (which resulted in the lost memorial being reproduced and dedicated in 2002), during which she learnt about the 'Pals battalion for bureaucrats' and decided to write about it. After her tragically early death in April 2005 I was asked to write an appreciation for the journal of the London branch of the WFA, which is appended below. Jill was one of the most exceptional people I have ever known, and it is wonderful to hear how highly her book on the CSR is regarded. If it is now available for less than a fiver, I would urge everyone to get a copy while they are still available.

Mick

post-11021-1233347830.jpg

Tom

I took your advice and purchased a copy,looking forward to its arrival.

Regards Doug

I will order the Book.I too had a bit of Luck,last week i got an Original Edition of the Regt History "TheCivil Service Rifles in the Great War" for £12.00 off of Flea Bay...along with another Original Edition "The London Scottish in the Great War" for a measly £15.00.........Any Offers ?. :lol::lol:

At the moment, I am reading a biography of Lloyd -George. Author John Grigg, it consists of 4 volumes which cover the period from his early political career through to 1918. A couple of the volumes won awards. This is an in depth exploration of the man and his politics as he rose in political status to finally lead Britain to victory as prime minister. Most of us will have met him as an implacable enemy of the British High Command and of Haig in particular. For anyone who is interested in the man who nearly lost the war but claimed to have won it, these volumes are to be highly recommended. Very well written. Nobody writes 4 volumes of biography with a subject for whom he has no sympathy but Grigg is by no means blind to LL-G's faults. I first came across the last in the series which covers 1916-1918 and it was so good, I made a point of assembling a motley collection of all the books. One hardback, one paperback, these second hand and 2 new paperbacks. I am now embarked on reading from the start. This was the man who allowed Haig to act as CiC throughout his time as prime minister when he could have replaced him and then, more than ten years later, after Haig and many of the premier actors in the great drama had died, carried out a bitter character assassination. I hope that this biography will help me to understand why. As I have hinted, some are available from your bookshop new PB but some are out of print. Author; John Grigg, Lloyd George, main title; with a sub title indicating the section of his career covered.

Sorry. something went wrong with posting files. Here is the appreciation mentioned above.

Hi,Mick.

You must feel so privileged to have known this seemingly formidable lady who pulled out a(n apparently ,I will buy it soon) fantastic book in such a short time.

You yourself should dump the translation work & write something on the Great War subject yourself.

When I croak,it would make the family proud if someone wrote sentiments of the quality you have written here for Jill.

Very well done.

Dave.

ps.Thats your compliment quota used up for this year.

Back to business :P