The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

7th Bn KSLI storming Hindenburg Line Sep 1918

Guest thwaitey2004

Hi thwaitey2004

I have Reg. History so can give you info. from that, plus I have a book called Trekking On by Deneys Reitz, a South African who was 2nd in command of 1/R.S.F. but who took over temp. command of the 7/K.S.L.I. at this time.

Could you give me any info. on your great grandfather as I am making database of K.S.L.I. men, plus I may have info. that I can pass to you ?

Annette

Guest thwaitey2004

Thanks for your input.

31997 Private Charles Louis Thwaite 7th KSLI.

He was 31 when he died on 6th Dec 1918 as a result of wounds sustained during the attack on the Hindenburg Line. I have the field post card he sent to my great grandmother dated 28/09/18, stating he had been wounded but was 'going on well', written in pencil on the postcard. He was evacuated through a US military hospital and eventually back to Coventry. There are photographs of him in hospital blues apparently recovering from i believe gun shot wounds to the lower abdomen, but then suddenly my great grandmother was informed of his death. He is buried in Mossley Cemetery in Lancashire which was the family's home town. He enlisted on 11 Dec 1915 but was deferred, possibly due to his job in the cotton industry, or the fact he had four young children. His name is on the Roll Of Honour at the RHQ in Shrewsbury. His brother John served with the Lincolnshire Regiment, and was also wounded, but survived the war. Charles Thwaite and his brother were both awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, the family also hold the bronze memorial plaque, one of two held proudly by this family. Hope this info is of use.

James Thwaite and his dad

Hi James

I can not add any more info. about your Great Grandfathe, except that his name is recorded in Trekking On. Major Reitz was not with the 7/K.S.L.I. on the 27th Sept. 1918 but was put in Temp. Command that night or the following day ?, he was with the Battalion less then two weeks. He kept the only battalion order issued while he was in command which includes a list of casualties.

Reitz was with the 1/R.S.F on the 27th but his account of the fighting is very interesting and he mentions the 7/K.S.L.I. a couple of times. I will scan the pages of his book that covers the 27th. I will try and scan pages of Regt. History that cover the attack but may have to type info. out by hand if it looks like spin will be damaged by placing it on scanner ? Anyway I'll send you the info. over the next day or two.

Annette

James

My emails with attachments do not seem to be getting through to you ? I'll try again tomorrow but if they fail again I will post them here.

Annette

Guest thwaitey2004

Hi, i just checked my email, and ive recieved the third and 4th attachment, but not the second one. Anyway thanks for them, and just send the rest when u can, cheers again. James Thwaite