The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

location of 1st Coldstream 3rd April 1916

Guest thwaitey2004

Guest thwaitey2004

Does anyone have info on the location of 1st Coldstream, number 2 Company in particular in the Salient on 3rd April 1916? My great grandad fought there, and his friend was killed that day.

The only info I can supply is that the 1st CG were in France & Flanders from 13 Aug 1914. By 1st Nov 1914, during First Ypres, the battalion consisted of 150 men commanded by the Lieutenant Quartermaster. I haven't got anything on individual companies.

Anyone else out there with any more?

The 80 men under the Q.M. were out of the line on the 29th October and reinforced with a draft of 2 officers and 100 men. Then on the 1st November they were sent back into the line east of Gheluvelt and suffered the loss of half of them on the 2nd November. The remainder were then attached to the 2nd Battalion for 2 weeks then withdrawn for reorganising.

I've taken this from 'A Record of the Coldstream Guards, 1650-1950'.

Hope this helps you.

John.

Hi,

The 1st were situated at Railway wood (in between the Menin Rd and Wieltje) the regimental history takes the following from the War diary for the 1st Bn :

27th March :

Railway wood trenches (just south of the Ypres-Roulers railway). At about twelve noon the Germans shelled our front line trenches very badly for about two hours, levelling the wood and trenches almost flat; we were lucky enough to get off with only some twenty-four casualties mostly wounded. Unfortunatly four were sergeants. Quieter to-day, two more sergeants wounded.

Koyli