The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Road Past Mandalay

neutrino

This is a book about WW2.

But I found it so good I thought I would recommend it here.

Written by John Masters of Bhowani Junction fame it's the second book of his autobiography.

Excellent reading and a lot of comment regarding WW1 soldiers..

Admin, please delete if you think this shouldn't be here.

Probably be deleted - but this is a superb book. If you want to know what the Chindit operations were like read it.

I know we'll get wrong for this topic but I'm just reading Bugles and a Tiger by John Masters, his account of life in India with the Gurkhas before WW2. Marvellous description of life on the North West Frontier during the 36-37 campaign (my father was there too), pretty much the same as many of the veterans of the great war would have found during the 1919 campaign. (trying desperately to keep this on topic!!)

Lionboxer

If you want to steer back on topic, what's the view of Master's three volume novel based around the Great War, called, if I remember correctly, Loss of Eden? Or 'The Ravi Lancers', Indian Cavalry on the Western Front. I read them around 20 years ago and thought them good, if a bit ponderous in places.

If you want to get the whole trilogy of Masters' autobiography, add Pilgrim Son which covers his departure from the Army, move to the USA and struggles to become an established writer.

I think the WW2 books are excellent reading, but boy, isn't he defensive?! Years ago I gathered he wasn't viewed that highly by the 4th Gurkhas despite his admiration for his unit and the Gurkhas in general. I seem also to have read that his "Block" or Chindit stand in the jungle has come in for some criticism later.

Strangely I never got into his novels.

LST_164

Probably be deleted - but this is a superb book. If you want to know what the Chindit operations were like read it.

Masters was in command at Blackpool Stronghold. Wingate was dead by this time, Lentaigne in command. Masters didn't follow Wingate's

methods and his poor siting of the stronghold was the reason for it's ( Blackpool's ) failure.

While a superb book, I don't think it gives the whole picture regarding the Chindits.

Had Calvert taken over instead of Lentaigne, Blackpool would have been sited in a better location.

Sorry am off topic

Mike

Read Prisoners of Hope Brig' J.M.Calvert

• 1 month later...

Masters was in command at Blackpool Stronghold. Wingate was dead by this time, Lentaigne in command. Masters didn't follow Wingate's

methods and his poor siting of the stronghold was the reason for it's ( Blackpool's ) failure.

While a superb book, I don't think it gives the whole picture regarding the Chindits.

Had Calvert taken over instead of Lentaigne, Blackpool would have been sited in a better location.

Sorry am off topic

Mike

Read Prisoners of Hope Brig' J.M.Calvert

Just read 'Prisoners of Hope'.

I enjoyed 'Road past Mandaly' more.

Two different points of view in some respects.

Have just recorded 'Objective Burma', film from 1945 where Errol Flynn wins the war in Burma without any British help.

Shows Stillwells pov I suspect.

Haven't watched it yet.

• 4 weeks later...
If you want to steer back on topic, what's the view of Master's three volume novel based around the Great War, called, if I remember correctly, Loss of Eden? Or 'The Ravi Lancers', Indian Cavalry on the Western Front. I read them around 20 years ago and thought them good, if a bit ponderous in places.

Just managed to get and read Ravi Lancers.

Good book which for 1972 the year it was published brings up a few topics which are relevant and in the news even now.