The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The best books on Neuve Chapelle

alex falbo

I'm looking for the best works on the March 10 offensive. I have summaries of the battle and its results. But I searching for some in depth books on the BEF's first major offensive action.

In 2000 Geoff Bridger published a handy overview of the battle and the area in The Battle of Neuve Chapelle, part of the'Battleground Europe' Series. This would be well worth seeking out.

Jack

Echo Jack Sheldon - I was on a fleeting visit to NC with Paul Reed in 2006 amd met Geoff Bridger ... knew very little about the battle or the area but his book gave me an excellent 'intro' to the battle.

Des

'Morale' by John Baynes - focuses on a specific battalion and their make-up before and after the battale, but still worth a read if you can find a copy.

Barrie

Apart from the BE and the OH not a lot out there unless you'd like to look at some of the general 1915 books by people such as Lynn MacDonald and Robin Neillands......perhaps it's about time someone did an in-depth survey of the battle?

Back to my oft-used comment about the 1915 battles being largely forgotten by the 'professional historians'......

Niall,

perhaps a project there for you - if there is dearth of information with regard to the 1915 battle there is even less about the actions there in 1914.

A graphic description of the battle as seen by a soldier in the ranks, can be read in " Haunting Years ", William Linton Andrews. The book also gives a worm's eye view of Festubert. " The Death of Glory " by Robin Neillands deals with the early battles as well as Ypres II. There is a book called " A Serious Disappointment" by Adrian Bristow. It is actually an in depth description of the one day battle of Aubers Ridge. The 3 early battles were so intimately linked that you will realise he gives many interesting details which apply to Neuve Chapelle. That also applies to some degree to the other book in the Battleground series, " Aubers Ridge" and even " Fromelles", both of which were fought in the same area with the same intent.

I'm looking for the best works on the March 10 offensive. I have summaries of the battle and its results. But I searching for some in depth books on the BEF's first major offensive action.

The only book on Neuve Chapelle is Gavaghan's Forgotten Battles book. Every work published on actions in 1915, are all copied from his books.

I'd also recoomend Geoff Bridger's book. Very well researched and also good for visiting the area.

Alan

The only book on Neuve Chapelle worth having is Gavaghan's Forgotten Battles book. It also covers the actions at Aubers Ridge and Festubert. All the recent books have copied his.

Seller

Bearing in mind that Gavaghan's Neuve Chapelle, Aubers Ridge and Festubert was not published until 1995, could the fact not be that he himself was guided in his work by the contents of those books which have been recommended and which predated his - in some cases by several decades?

Jack

From the History of a Battalion that was there(8th Royal Scots,7th Division).

"For the attack at Neuve Chapelle,on 10th March 1915,the Battalion was to form the left pivot of the Division.The Battalion occupied their trenches during the battle,but received no orders to move."

George

The only book on Neuve Chapelle worth having is Gavaghan's Forgotten Battles book. It also covers the actions at Aubers Ridge and Festubert. All the recent books have copied his.

You own that one then? Was the Official History copied from his book as well?

I suppose that because it was a very small-scale battle (geographically, at least), the various regimental histories (and divisional histories) offer good descriptions of the fighting. Particularly the Grenadier Guards History by Ponsonby (1st Battalion was in the 7th Division) is an excellent report on that battlion's fighting. The 39th Garwhal Rifles history (can't remember the author - Drake-Brockman?) is also very good. Both the 7th and 8th Divisional histories give vivid descriptions, as does, if memory serves, the Rifle Brigade's history.

OK, a lot of digging around, but if you're interested there may be a lot to find.

Personally, I found, when I read it a few years ago, the book, A Serious Disappointment, just that, but I can't recall why, so I might be doing it a disservice: maybe I should re-read it. I'd echo wholeheartedly the recommendation of Baynes' biograph of the Scottish Rifles, Morale. A brilliant book.

Back to my oft-used comment about the 1915 battles being largely forgotten by the 'professional historians'......

I'm with n cherry on this one. The forgotten front and battles of 1915, generally fought by the Territorials are mostly ignored by professional historians. All the 'sexy' first world war stuff concentrates on the Somme and 3rd Ypres. Can't say that I recall a Discovery History programme on Loos or Aubers Ridge, nor a Find the Fallen archaeological piece on them. But there we are, they were part timers weren't they; and not 'real' soldiers?!

battles of 1915, generally fought by the Territorials

To a point.

The regular divisions were still there, and many (in the 7th, 8th, 26th and 27th divisions particularly) were spared much of the 1914 fighting, so would have had a strong pool of regular soldiers.

Additionally, the Meerut and Lahore Divisions of the Indian Corps contained some of the best and most professional soldiers available.

Personally, I found, when I read it a few years ago, the book, A Serious Disappointment, just that, but I can't recall why, so I might be doing it a disservice: maybe I should re-read it. I'd echo wholeheartedly the recommendation of Baynes' biograph of the Scottish Rifles, Morale. A brilliant book.

I rather agree about A Serious Disappointment - I felt that the title epnymously described the contents. again, I'd have to revisit it to say why. Morale is excellent - and not simply for Neuve Chapelle but as a snapshot of a battalion firmly placed in context.

'Morale' by John Baynes - focuses on a specific battalion and their make-up before and after the battale, but still worth a read if you can find a copy.

Barrie

I strongly agree. Baynes work is well worth a read.

Chris.

• 3 years later...

Seller

I'm looking for this book. Do you have a spare copy?

Chris