The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British Red Cross & Order of St John

Terry Carter

Just letting Forum members know that Naval & Military Press are publishing the enquiry lists. There are 9 publications concerning 1915, 2 for 1916, 1 for 1917, and 2 for 1918. The last one of 884 pages at £28 contains all the enquiries up to and including 20 Nov 1918. And that is the one I have just ordered myself.

Terry

The last one of 884 pages at £28 contains all the enquiries up to and including 20 Nov 1918. And that is the one I have just ordered myself.

I think the Lists were updated ie. missing known since died or POW, taken off next list etc. so I would assume the 1918 List refers, for example, to mainly 1917 and 1918 men. The Oct 1st 1918 List ( up to Aug 2nd 1918) is actually larger than the Dec 1st 1918 List at 938 pages (and £32).

Regards,

Jonathan S

It will certainly be useful to have these more widely available.

The list can be seen here: click here. No indication however if they plan to bring out more, or whether this is the entire list of the IWM's holdings. Hopefully they will be able to fill in some of the gaps from private collections and other museums.

I do wonder why they didn't provide this as one CD-Rom containing all the lists in searchable pdf format. For the serious researcher I think that might be more useful.