The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Transferring out of the Buffs to RWK

Nick

Hello all. This is my first post to this excellent resource so I hope you can help - and apologies if this seems convoluted.

I have made pretty good progress into researching Albert Skinner, a relative who was killed at Tel el Khulweife in November 1917 when he was a L/Sgt in the 2/4th Royal West Kents.

The RWK had previously served in Egypt and Gallipoli, having left England in July 1915. The battalion began life as the Kent Composite Battalion in April 1915.

The Kent Composite Battalion was formed by stripping companies out of other regiments including the Buffs. Alberts roll number shows he was formerly T1811 The Buffs.

It seems to me to be probable that Albert transferred into the Kent Composite Battalion when it was formed, which then went off to Gallipoli as the 2/4th RWK.....this seems fine BUT.....Oral family histories never made any mention of Albert being at Gallipoli, (which strikes me as odd) which makes me think he may have transferred into the Royal West Kents when that regiment received reinforcements in early 1916. We also have an old postcard from him which puts him in India. Sadly the postmark date is not readable, but it would appear to be after 1914.

Does anybody have any clues how I might be able to find out at what point he transferred out of the Buffs?

The answer may rest in the PRO with his own military record - if it exists. I have not attempted to get this yet.

Thanks in eager anticipation.

I have a nice photo of Albert that I will try to post up.

My initial response is the service record as this will show what happened and when.

I researched Thomas Highgate who was in the Queens and the moved on to the Royal West Surreys... now all that is in the service record..

But there are others here with more knowledge than me..

John

Thanks for this John

I suspect you are absolutely correct....but you never know!