The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RGA 1915

Steve11

My Grandfather served in the RGA on 60 pounders in 1915 and the medal roll against STAR shows RGA/1B4 (or RGA/IB4) in the Roll column (the B4 is superscript). Can this information identify the brigade or battery he was with?

Also the STAR is prefixed with a 15. Does this mean that he received the 1914-1915 Star.

Steve11 wrote: My Grandfather served in the RGA on 60 pounders in 1915 and the medal roll against STAR shows RGA/1B4 (or RGA/IB4) in the Roll column (the B4 is superscript). Can this information identify the brigade or battery he was with?

Also the STAR is prefixed with a 15. Does this mean that he received the 1914-1915 Star.

The RGA/1B4 does not identify the battery or brigade; it is the book and page number of the 1914-1915 Star roll on which his name is listed as eligible for that star.

15 Star does refer to 1914-1915 Star.

Does the MIC give the date of his entry into France? What is his service number and name. Send it and I will see if I can locate him in one of the RGA unit histories I have. Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks for helping rflory,

I'm attaching an image of the MIC copy (70k) sent to my by a researcher - recommended on the records office website & a waste of time and money. Unfortunately she has cropped the right edge off the copy.

In case the attachment is not a success I'll also mention the following:

Name: John Easton

Corp: RGA:

No.: 43171

MEDALS

Victory Roll: RGAHYB or (RGAIIYB). The B is superscript.

Victory Page: 1663.

British Roll: As Victory.

British Page: As Victory.

15 Star Roll: RGA/1B4. The B4 is superscript.

15 Star Page: 294.

Entry at bottom of medals column: LWB List RGA/277

Theatre of War: (1) France.

Date of Entry: 7-10-15

Remarks: Dis. 392 (XVI) 17-7-1???.

I would really appreciate if you can locate him or if you can throw some light on what the above Remarks Entry means (or the RGA/1B4) as I'm not getting anywhere in finding out about him or his unit.

post-2-1080222108.jpg