The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Red Baron

trenchwalker

You'll not long be dead?

Would you care to explain? It could be construed as a threat but I don't think it is. If you have a problem with what I have said then counter it in the appropriate place as opposed littering someone else's thread.

Hi lovely,

As you well know I said, "Cheer up you'll not be long dead!" merely congratulating you on the your possible reincarantion as a butterfly and albatross or whatever in the 'Great Beyond'. Your deliberate misquote is of course amusing and entirely in context of your general approach to 'the great debate - yawn!!!

Try and keep a sense of proportion here on a friendly forum if not in your spirit world. I'm not really interested in quaint superstitions, but I am interested in the Red Baron and other air films - which Is why I posted about the AWM film. I merely found it amusing that someone who demanded rigorous accuracy in commercial aerial film-making - which after all is a branch of the entertainment industry - should be so willing to accept any old tosh in their fields of interest. I don't want to litter someone else's post but you do keep being so jolly offensively rude!

Cheers,

Pete-e-Pops

P.S. By the way for anyone not totally negative, there is a preview of the BBC Timewatch film on Mannock and McCudden called 'Aces Falling' on Monday 16th Feb at the Royal Aeronautical Society at 4 Hamilton Place, London. Kick off at 17.30 for tea & biscuits. It seems there will be about 150 people there - mainly aircraft buffs! I'm not sure if people are just allowed to turn up. The finished programme is being transmitted on Sat 21st March at 20.00 on BBC2. Several Forum Pals have been involved in this programme which was produced by John Hayes-Fisher. I think it looks pretty good from a 'rush' I was sent but I'm sure there will be mistakes that people can amuse themselves by tearing apart. Little things - little minds! For me anything that boosts the reputation of Mannock and McCudden is well worthwhile...

I believe for the showing of the Timewatch film you have to be a member of the Society - unfortunately can't make it there myself (plus i've lost my membership card!), but i'm sure it'll be worth the wait

Hi lovely,

As you well know I said, "Cheer up you'll not be long dead!" merely congratulating you on the your possible reincarantion as a butterfly and albatross or whatever in the 'Great Beyond'. Your deliberate misquote is of course amusing and entirely in context of your general approach to 'the great debate - yawn!!!

Try and keep a sense of proportion here on a friendly forum if not in your spirit world. I'm not really interested in quaint superstitions, but I am interested in the Red Baron and other air films - which Is why I posted about the AWM film. I merely found it amusing that someone who demanded rigorous accuracy in commercial aerial film-making - which after all is a branch of the entertainment industry - should be so willing to accept any old tosh in their fields of interest. I don't want to litter someone else's post but you do keep being so jolly offensively rude!

Cheers,

Pete-e-Pops

P.S. By the way for anyone not totally negative, there is a preview of the BBC Timewatch film on Mannock and McCudden called 'Aces Falling' on Monday 16th Feb at the Royal Aeronautical Society at 4 Hamilton Place, London. Kick off at 17.30 for tea & biscuits. It seems there will be about 150 people there - mainly aircraft buffs! I'm not sure if people are just allowed to turn up. The finished programme is being transmitted on Sat 21st March at 20.00 on BBC2. Several Forum Pals have been involved in this programme which was produced by John Hayes-Fisher. I think it looks pretty good from a 'rush' I was sent but I'm sure there will be mistakes that people can amuse themselves by tearing apart. Little things - little minds! For me anything that boosts the reputation of Mannock and McCudden is well worthwhile...

I think you got it right when you mentioned the word 'yawn' Pete, if I may call you that. Let's just call this a day now and I am sorry if I have been rude to you, or any other poster for that matter, but there really was no need to bring the disagreements from another thread here. I don't believe I have and whatever your first paragraph is about if it isn't intended to be dismissive, or rude, I don't know?

If I was negative about my experiences, and attitude toward this film, or any other that is an opinion I should be allowed (like your own and like my own in the ghostly thread). But, relating a disagreement from another thread, the ghostly one, doesn't convince me you were posting because you were interested in the Red Baron. I think most Hollywood is pretty poor for the reasons I outline; a post about a film.

As I've implied, I'm not here to fight with anyone but I will stand my ground. You had very little to say to me in the other thread Pete, so why bring it up here?

Sam

I say Sam I have undergone a Damascene conversion or whatever happens to men of a certain age...

Chastened by the magnanimous tone of your posts, I can only say that you are one of the most heroic battlers for truth, religion and psychic powers that I have ever encountered. The way you stand your ground in the face of mild sarcasm is simply inspiring. When on top of this display of naked courage we add your omnipotent grip on the issues of science, fact checking, life and death - well it is all too much for me as a casual atheist. I now see I should never ever have said that 'Superstition is a wonderful thing' in that 'other place'. This I accept was downright offensive to religious and superstitious people. But in away I'm glad I did for your tolerant, yet calmly logical, evangelicism has brought me to a new understanding of the 'old' ways that you believe in. Let me end this ceaseless bickering and share in the peace and harmony for which you have proved such an effective messenger.

I would therefore apologise unreservedly for anything that I have ever said that has disagreed with your opinion on this topic across the whole of the Great War Forum. I will never do it again. The floor is yours and silence will be my only watchword,

Cheers,

Silent Pete

PS I am interested in Richthofen though and will be at the Royal Aeronautical Society preview screening of the Mannock/McCudden Timewatch programme on Monday. I don't know whether you have to be a member or not but suspect you might be right, RobL.

I say Sam I have undergone a Damascene conversion or whatever happens to men of a certain age...

Chastened by the magnanimous tone of your posts, I can only say that you are one of the most heroic battlers for truth, religion and psychic powers that I have ever encountered. The way you stand your ground in the face of mild sarcasm is simply inspiring. When on top of this display of naked courage we add your omnipotent grip on the issues of science, fact checking, life and death - well it is all too much for me as a casual atheist. I now see I should never ever have said that 'Superstition is a wonderful thing' in that 'other place'. This I accept was downright offensive to religious and superstitious people. But in away I'm glad I did for your tolerant, yet calmly logical, evangelicism has brought me to a new understanding of the 'old' ways that you believe in. Let me end this ceaseless bickering and share in the peace and harmony for which you have proved such an effective messenger.

I would therefore apologise unreservedly for anything that I have ever said that has disagreed with your opinion on this topic across the whole of the Great War Forum. I will never do it again. The floor is yours and silence will be my only watchword,

Cheers,

Silent Pete

PS I am interested in Richthofen though and will be at the Royal Aeronautical Society preview screening of the Mannock/McCudden Timewatch programme on Monday. I don't know whether you have to be a member or not but suspect you might be right, RobL.

And what did I say, in the other thread, to have offended you Pete? I remember reminding you about a post you wrote, regarding the role of beer and spirit. I think that's about the sum of it.

If debating with Salesie is getting irate, so much so that you had to bring it up here, then I'd suggest the problem is as much with you. It's okay for some posters to be indignant, but not others?