The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hell's Foundations by Geoffrey Moorehouse

Waddell

Picked up an old copy of this book which I have not seen before. It's odd to find a book out here on Gallipoli that doesn't concentrate on Anzacs.

I've had a quick browse throught it and seem a very different take on a town (Bury), its local regiment (Lancashire Fusiliers) and the affect Gallipoli had on the town up to the last surviving veterans. I can't find a review for the book.

Any opinions/recommendations on the book? Should I move it up the reading list?

Are Gallipoli Sunday services still held in Bury?

Regards,

Scott

Thoroughly recommended. I have discovered a few very minor Historical errors when researching the Bury Virtual War Memorial but overall it gives a very thought-provoking and moving picture of the effect of war on a close-knit community. It also goes some way to countering the impression (which you refer to) that the only allied troops at Gallipoli were Anzacs. It has recently been republished, incidentally. It was much praised on first publication.

'Gallipoli Sunday', first commemorated in 1916, does indeed still continue in Bury, despite some question-marks over its future when the last veterans disappeared. I have mentioned it on many previous threads. It remains one of the most important dates in the town's calendar with a church service, parade and lunch in the Castle Armoury. This year's event will coincide with the opening of the brand new Fusiliers' Museum in the centre of Bury. The LFs lost more men than any other regiment in the Gallipoli campaign.

Scott - I just finished reading this over the weekend - highly recommended both as military and social history.

As you say, the concentration is on the Lancashire Fusiliers, and in particular the 5th Battalion, based in Bury. As well as coverage of their exploits at Gallipoli, the book covers the pre and post war years and is particularly interesting on how the losses the town suffered in WW1 affected attitudes to enlistment in WW2. There isn't very much on the 5th LF after Gallipoli - but they weren't really such a "local" battalion by then.

It is a little dated - after all, it was written 15 years ago or so, but very much worth a read.

Alan

I liked this book a lot - its not a military history as such and a lot of the focus is on the home front. It has some interesting things to say about how people remembered the war afterwards. As you say, it's unusual to find something about Gallipoli which isn't primarily about the Anzacs.

Swizz

A great book, and as you say, quite different from others on Gallipoli

I see that my own edition is from 1993

which confirms my suspicion that it must have been amongst the very first which I read on the subject

and started me off on this ..........

Thoroughly recommended

Scott - thanks for starting this thread.

I also picked up a copy of this book last year because I thought it could be valuable in understanding the wars effects on a community - but alas it got lost in the pile.

It's now moved itself back to the top.

Cheers, Frev

IMHO it takes a place with John Baynes' Morale in putting the men involved into time and context. I'd agree; a very good book.

Thanks All,

Unaninmous endorsement -I'm convinced and have just started it. Recently finished Neil Oliver's "Not Forgotten" which deals with rememberance and social issues as well, so looking forward to this book.

Regards,

Scott

George Ashulst wrote My Bit A Lancashire Fusilier Goes to War, in my opinion the finest book written solely by a true OR man. He was in Gallipoli. My true OR statement is becasue of possible help Frank Richards may have received form Robert Graves.

Forum member Paul Reed knew him.

• 1 month later...

I finished reading this book a few days ago and just wished to comment about it. This is a very fine, if somewhat sad book. It certainly paints a very clear picture of the period of ten years or so immediately following the war when a large number of these men suffered greatly.

The chapter “Counting the Cost” is chilling to read in parts. The address to limbless ex-servicemen in London where a Lieutenant- Colonel told the men that they would live longer on account of their hearts having to pump less blood, as well as stating that a man who has lost both legs will be a better swimmer than before his loss are just staggering.

The number of suicides and cases of mental illness mentioned are also disturbing. I was not surprised to read that the Lancashire Fusiliers had problems recruiting territorials in the pre-second world war days, while numbers of volunteers for the Auxillary Fire Service were amongst the best in the country.

This book has a sense of wholeness and perspective in the way it describes Bury’s history and the lead up to war, the Gallipoli events and the after affects that make it a very complete read. If I travel back to the “mother country” some time in the future I will certainly be making a visit to the town of Bury and the Lancashire Fusiliers museum after reading this book.

A very good read.

Scott.