The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Forlorn Hope by Sean Connolly

tommy mcclimonds

Pals

I was not aware of the existance of this book until I stumbled across a copy in a Dublin bookstore over the weekend. A small compact and well produced paperback of 127 pages, illustrated with many old B&W photographs, recent colour photographs, trench map illustrations and many other photo's of bits and pieces of various ephemera etc, including pictures of two ROH's for the Irish Land Commission and Wanderers Football Club. It also has a list of all the Dublin Fusiliers who died on each day of the March 1918 offensive. All I can really say is that it is excellent value for the 10 Euro it cost me, one not to be missed at that price I say.

Published in Nov/Dec 2008 by The Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association, website www.greatwar.ie

I thought members who have an interest in Ireland's contribution to the Great War and especially the Royal Dublin Fusiliers would appreciate a short review as well as giving them knowledge about/sight of this book.

Regards, Tommy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Tom

My friends grandfather was in the Dubs, and he would be very interested in a copy of this book, thanks for posting this,was talking to Tom Brown a few weeks ago at the Museum, We did not realise that Teddy from the Ulster Tower fame is Toms cousin. small world.

Yours

Joe

Has Conor Dodd from the Forum got a link to this? I think the Dodds are doing some considerable work ove rthe border and I know their efforts are very well thought of up around my place!

Des

• 5 months later...
Has Conor Dodd from the Forum got a link to this? I think the Dodds are doing some considerable work ove rthe border and I know their efforts are very well thought of up around my place!

Des

Des,

Conor's Forum on the Royal Dublin Fusiliers is a valuable tool for researching inividual soldiers. The history of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers is summarised on www.greatwar.ie which contains some individual examples. This is the website of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association which was formed in 1996 to promote the memory of the Irish men and women who served in the First World War but who had been officially ignored. The Irish State has now recognises the role played by the Irish in the British Army in the First World War. The National Museum at Collins Barrack in Dublin has a major exhibition on Irish military history which a major segment on the Great War.

Thank you, Tom for the unsolicited comments. Detailed personal material on the Irish regiments is scarce. The book also shows how many English conscripts ended up in an Irish regiment to fill the gaps. Conscription was not apllied in Ireland.

The author.

• 2 years later...

I do not know if Sean Connolly's book "A Forelorn Hope" is still in print, but I would recommend it to anyone interested in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. I got my in 2010 and found it informative.

I do not know if Sean Connolly's book "A Forelorn Hope" is still in print, but I would recommend it to anyone interested in the Royal Dublin fusiliers. I got my copy in 2010 and found it informative.

• 3 months later...

I do not know if Sean Connolly's book "A Forelorn Hope" is still in print, but I would recommend it to anyone interested in the Royal Dublin fusiliers. I got my copy in 2010 and found it informative.

Copies are still available. Drop a line to rdfa@eirocm.net. See also www.greatwar.ie/assoc.html#newpub