The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Twelve Days on the Somme

CT-Guards

I am at that point where I have exhausted my book case, and some shopping is required.

I have started again on "Twelve Days on the Somme" a great little read.

It really gives, I think an accurate account of twelve days during the battle of the Somme performed by the 2/West Yorkshires. Written by Sidney Rogerson.

If there is anything similar to this that you can recommend I'm shopping this weekend.

Regards

Many thanks to you sir,

It's on my shopping list.

Best regards

If you like Rogerson's style and point of view, you might also enjoy Charles Carrington's Soldier From the Wars Returning, which in my view is essential reading for anyone who wants to build a rounded picture of the British Army in the Great War.

ciao,

GAC

Sounds great, I will certainly check both recommendations out, Now contemplating buying a bigger book case.

Thanks for taking the time for me, much appreciated

Best regards

Naval and Military have an excellent library of personal accounts at good prices.

'Into The Line' by George Bucher gives a good account from the German side.

'There's A Devil In The Drum' by John Lucy is excellent

'Nothing of Importance' by Bernard Adams

'My Bit' by George Ashurst

I could go on and on, I have about 50 personal accounts and am working through them.

Carrington's book is brilliant.

Sean

Manythanks for the info, quite a collection Sean,

Kind regards

Can I suggest Somme Mud which was is a very graphic description of Australians on the western Front outstanding.

Rob

• Admin

I appreciate you may have done your shopping but Through German Eyes The British on the Somme 1916 is a fascinating and informative read. One of the issues is how we, understandably, look at the conflict through the British and Commonwealth experience and perhaps pay less attention to other combatants and theatres of the war. The perspective of this book, for example, on the relief of British POWs and their attitude to capture and interrogation, as well as many other issues is refreshing.

Check out the Amazon Reviews here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Through-German-Eye...x/dp/0753822024

Ken

There are hundreds of fantastic first accounts about , but unfortunately most are now out of print, as the reading public these days are more interested in Z list models with large breasts than anything of importance.

But if you can, try finding thse gems.

The Weary Road by Charles Douie

A Time To Leave The Ploughshares by William Carr (written when he was 100 years old)

Stand To by Captain Hitchcock

Some Desperate Glory by Edwin Campion Vaughan (my favourite)

Johnny Get Your Gun by John F. Tucker

A Subaltern's Odyssey by R.B. Talbot Kelly

Somme Harvest by Giles M. Eyre

A Sergeant Major's War by Ernest Shephard

And one of the best ever written

War Letters to a Wife by Rowland Feilding.

Happy reading.

Ian

A Very Unimportant Officer edited by Cameron Stewart, Haunting Years; I am unable to remeber the authors of these two.

The Amateur Army, The Red Horizon, The Great Push all by Patrick MacGill - pm me if you want details of these published in trilogy form as Rifleman MacGill's War.