The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Camera in the Hills. W A Poucher

JPAE

I've gone and done it again! Last time it was a gardening book by C E Lucas-Phillips in order to get a break from military subjects, and it turned out that the author had a distinguished career in WW1. Today in the library I spotted a biography of W A Poucher, and thought it would be a pleasant change to find out about his photographic books of the great outdoors with their wonderfully readable and old-fashioned descriptive text.

Opening the contents page, there it is, Chapter 3 Photographer at War. Whats this? Now, if you read a copy of The Somme 1916 then you know what to expect of the subject matter, but a biography is capable of surprise the unexpected. Firstly, no War photography. This title is bestowed retrospectively on WAP by Mr Smith due to his exploits in later life. He is a qualified pharmacist at the outbreak of War and December 1914 he is in service with the RAMC but as a cililian.

However by November 1915 he is a Lieutenant Quartermaster,RAMC,on the Western Front attached to 41st. Casualty Clearing Station. In this Chapter three awesome paintings are reproduced by John Singer Sargent and J. Hodgson Lobley of the interior of the 41st. CCS.

Demobbed in 1919 Poucher said he could never persue a medical career after what he had seen. If he had then Yardleys would not have been the success they became for he went on to become Britain's leading cosmetic chemist.

If biography is for you and a one chapter War story of a remarkable individual then see if your library has a copy, or buy it.

Phil.

He's a very good friend's grandfather, and I have been lucky to see many of his original images, including all the ones he took on active service. Glad to see they are in print; am presuming they include a few in the book?

Paul,

You are the lucky one for the photographs cover family groups and portraits fom Victorian times to the 1980's over his long innings of 96, the Country Life series of the 40's and 50's, but none during his time on active service. This War service is gleaned from his regular contributions to the Pharmaceutical journal and Pharmacist as 'Civilian dispenser' and 'Lieutenant RAMC' , and does not cover photography, but his recording of strengths and weaknesses withen the service.

You have me wondering now, whether he took pictures of the nitty-gritty of the CCS, or a 'fantastic pinnacle' wearing a 'snowy raiment' ! He was a hero of Alfred Wainwright which must make him VERY special.

Regards,

Phil.