The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lutyens and The Great War

Guest Edward_Blake

Guest Edward_Blake

I received this as a surprise present from my wife for Christmas. I hadn't seen it before and have to confess that I am very impressed with it. It looks at all of the war memorials designed by Lutyens as well as his work for the Imperial War Graves Commission. There is lots of detail but, for a book about architecture, it is refreshingly free of pompous architectural jargon and there are lots of wonderful colour photos instead - probably more pictures of war cemeteries than I have seen in any book for a long time. It also looks at the memorials that were not built. The highlight for me is the whole chapter devoted to the memorial at Spalding and the argumentative public meeting that considered it and the various other proposals that had been made I know of Gerald's work through his VC Books and "When The Barrage Lifts" but Tim Skelton is a new name to me. I can thoroughly recommend this book and I wondered whether anyone else had seen it?

• Admin

I had a long look at it in Waterstones and am thinking of using some of my birthday money to get this. There was a thread on it but I can't find it despite doing a search. Tim contributed to the thread but I can't remember his username.

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

I have ordered this as well as The Old Lie- the Great War and the Public School Ethos by Peter Parker. Should keep me quiet for a while! Am also reading the letters and diaries of Julian Grenfell edited by Kate Thompson at present- very interesting.

Michelle

• Admin

Beautiful book, lavishly illustrated with stunning photos. I haven't had much chance to read the text yet but looks promising.

Michelle

I haven't read the book, but one of the most interesting things about the Lutyens war memorials that I know is that they do not have a Christian theme - most unusual at that time. Are there any exceptions?

jeremym

(Jeremy Mitchell)