The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Thomas Bateman d 23/11/1919

BarbaraF

My great uncle Thomas Bateman is recorded by the CWGC as having died in 1919 and buried at Chingford Mount cemetery.

He was a private in The Kings(Liverpool Regiment) and has a secondary regiment of the Labour Corps 87th Coy. His service No was L/82308 and when he transferred to the Labour Corps he was given the number 193995.

From his Labour Corps number is it possible to work out when he might have been transferred?

Barbara

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The 87th Coy Labour Corps was formed from the 22nd Infantry Labour Coy Liverpool Regt in April 1917, but the original members of this Coy had LC numbers 51601 to 52200.

Although this soldier had a connection to the Liverpools, he wasn't an original member.

Ian

Barbara

I do not have access to my full records at the moment.

When I do I will check to try to see what I can find. Off the top of my head I would think he joined the Labour Corps around July/August 1917.

• 3 weeks later...

Barbara

Having checked my records it would appear that he was originally in 232 Area Employment Company. This Company was formed in June 1917 to support 35 Division. However it did not keep a War Diary so we have virtually no information about it.

At some time he must have been transferred to 87 Company.