The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

medal card

j.r.f

please can anybody help.I have looked on the internet (mic index) for C.S.M. A.W BICKELL 3773 3rd?6th Bn Gloucestershire regiment.Died age 47 on 18 October 1915.He is burried in Bristol Avon View Cemetery plot dbc.116.I have photographed his grave and stone.I can find no record of his medal entitlement.

Please can any pals help,or,put me in the correct direction to find the details.

Cheers.

JOHN. :D

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Given his age perhaps he was a Home Service man ie he never served overseas and thus was entitled to no medals.

Ian

IAN

You were correct.Just look on the mother site and the 3rd/6th Bn of the Gloucestershire regiment remained home for the duration.

Thanks again

JOHN.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

John,

Given his rank and age perhaps he served in South Africa (Boer War) 1899-1901, and was eligible for the QSA and KSA?

Ian

Guest Pete Wood

Maybe no medals, John. But his next of kin would have received a plaque and scroll.

There are lots of families who only had these two items in exchange for the life of a loved one - especially towards the end of the war when recruits died from influenza.

Ian

How can I find if he had medals from the Boar war?Do they appear on his :mic?Is there another source of older information?This is completly new ground for me.

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

Guest Ian Bowbrick

John,

Right first stop is to check for his service record in WO 363 etc. If this has survived there is a chance details of his South African service are mentioned. A regiment is what we are looking for. This and the Battalion will lead us to the correct reel. If not, this means a long trawl through the medal rolls which are kept on microfilm at the PRO.

Ian

Guest Ian Bowbrick

John,

MIC is the medal index card which has the refernces for the relevant medal roll(s).

There are no MICs for the QSA & KSA medal rolls.

Ian :)

• 2 weeks later...

John,

This is extracted from information I hold on Bickell.

CSM AW Bickell was the husband of Emily I Bickell of 'Fairview', The Avenue', St George, Bristol. He was 47 years old and is buried in Bristol (Avonview) Cemetery. (CWG)

He worked for Bristol Education Department before the war and served at home for six months before his death. (Roll of Honour of Bristol Corporation Employees).

Served with the City Constabulary, he was originally a volunteer and later rejoined.

He is not listed in Soldiers Died.

Regards

Joe

JOE

You are a gentleman and a scoller.I to have the memorial roll for Bristol Council Employees,whowever I never thought of using it.

Are you to a Bristol boy?

What are your interests?

Cheers

JOHN.