The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

That age old kilt question

Tinhat47

That advice, if I remember correctly, is given to the central character, Bourne, when they are following a kilted unit up some dugout steps in The Middle Parts of Fortune

"The Middle Parts of Fortune" would seem to be appropriate.

Incidentally, aren't you erudite ?

The only time I was ever called that was in 1972. I had a weekend job working on petrol pumps at a garage in Cambridge, where I lived. It was extremely boring (I had about three customers on the average Sunday morning), so I sat and read.

Well, one day I was reading Eugenie Grandet (Balzac - in translation, of course), and a very nice lady stopped for petrol. She followed me into the cabin to pay, and picked up the book. "Oh" she said, "Balzac. That's very erudite".

Kind of took the gloss off when I had to look it up when I got home. :blush:

Mind, and you can believe this too, I worked a 10-hour weekend and earned the princely sum of £2.10. Total - not per hour!

Are you lot perpetuating a myth? I think all that stuff is part of a conspiracy theory, and I don't believe a word of it. The picture with the Queen was a fake.

H.C. :blush:

The only time I was ever called that was in 1972. I had a weekend job working on petrol pumps at a garage in Cambridge, where I lived. It was extremely boring (I had about three customers on the average Sunday morning), so I sat and read.

Well, one day I was reading Eugenie Grandet (Balzac - in translation, of course), and a very nice lady stopped for petrol. She followed me into the cabin to pay, and picked up the book. "Oh" she said, "Balzac. That's very erudite".

Kind of took the gloss off when I had to look it up when I got home. :blush:

Mind, and you can believe this too, I worked a 10-hour weekend and earned the princely sum of £2.10. Total - not per hour!

Cambridge 1972 ? It was probably Mrs Drill. She was very nice ;) I got "erudite" from her too !

I was at Waterbeach with 39 (Airfield) Engineer Regiment.

And of course you mean the only other time.

We were advised to wear swimming Trunks in the jungles of Malaysia, that was to stop the Leeches from crawling into the "Wee Fellow" however we were not wearing our Kilts in the Jungle, OG,S was the dress there.

As for the Mirror at the Guard room, The depot I came through was at Perth and there was no mirror there.

Can any one name a barracks Guardroom that the British Army use that had a Mirror that you walked over?

Yours

Joe

Yes. Guards Depot Pirbright - they had you walking up the walls.

I remember the 80's. Two Tone and all that. Selector,was it, Mirror in the Guard Room. Smashing.

Steven; re your PM - sorry, don't remember that name, but it's 40 years ago now. The regiment was rarely together anyway, squadrons in Dhofar, Ireland, Saxa Vord at the time. When not doing that, squadrons were split up practising Rapid Runway Repair at the Clutch Airfields in Germany. There were people, lots of them, that you never saw in a complete tour, unless you held a seance. Nice chap called Robin Jukes-Hughes was the CO.

I can not recall if the the Guardeoom at 1 Gordons at Kirknewton had a Mirror but there was a rumour that the mirrors on sticks used for vehicle checks were origionaly used in lieu of said phantom mirror.

On the Gordons farewell parade at Aberdeen in '83 one lad fainted as the Duke of Rothsey (HRH PoW) was inspecting. the Colonels words were "Good God that man is wearing DRAWERS!, put him on a Charge. " :hypocrite:

I remember the 80's. Two Tone and all that. Selector,was it, Mirror in the Guard Room. Smashing.

"Mirror in the bathroom"? The Beat.

Still have the vinyl LP

I was close.

I'm sorry but I just don't believe any of this mirrors on sticks etc nonsense. My father always said the command "Prove!" required all kilts to be lifted high - why be so coy about it?

Thank you, Private Widdle!

:thumbsup: