The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New book First World War Flying Ace

themonsstar

Hi all

I've been asked to flag this new book on Harry Chisam by his daughter Margaret Chisam Partington. The book was wrote and edited by Andy Milne, and published in 2008 by Trevor Preece.

Author's note.

Some of this story based on anecdote & conjecture, however, I have followed , as nearly as I can the career of Harry Chisam in the RANS and the RAF. The prewar adventures in Canada, are all based on fact, including the factory explosion in Saskatchewan.

Amazingly pilots had to pay for their own training in the early part of the great War. Harry Chisam and Ally Shaw both trained at the Wright brothers, flying school in Ohio , and concluded their training in Augusta, Georgia. I can only surmise Wright did this to help the war effort. Chisam met President Wilson on his way back to Britain. The details of the crash in Yorkshire are a matter of record.Chisam then went to serve Scotland.

However the clearest picture, we are of his career is from the logs of Naval three Squadron. Harry Chisam engage the enemy over Northern France, Belgium and the North Sea, many times,almost dying as a result. He really did flip is plane over on landing on Christmas Day at Walmer. He crash landed on the beach near Dunkerque and was shot down over the Somme.

The friendship with Countess Beauchamp is intriguing. She certainly gave him gifts and befriended both Chisam , and all the officers stationed at Walmer. She remains a much misunderstood woman. She helped set up the RNAS memorial at a Walmer after the Great War.

Chisam visited Madresfield several times and took his daughter and son to tea there in the 1950.

Did nurses from Walmer fly? We know they were given rides around the aerodrome. I have tried to emphasise their importance and that of the ground crew.

Mr Finch really did exist, so often these people go unpraised. Chisam and Rochford flew a captured the DFW over to England and were nearly shot down by Roy Brown, whom they met later that day.

The horrors of the Great War and the bravery which men faced it defy adequate explanation. Chisam had a strong desire to serve his country and was unwavering in his determination to do so. Interestingly, he bore the people he fought no ill will.

Details of his career in Mexico are harder to come by. He was an excellent poker player and he worked hard in the Oil fields. Chisam had an eye for a pretty girl. He was devoted to his wife Ethel and became a committed family man and an accomplished letter writer as well as a good photographer.

In 1985 and 1995 Margaret Partington, Chisam's daughter travel to Dayton Ohio and met the Wright Brothers' niece, Ivonette Miller Wright. Harry Chrisam's name is engraved on the plaque commemorating the pioneers of aviation trained by the Wrights.

The story of Harry Chisam , and the men he served with has slipped imperceptibly into history. May this book with all its imperfections serve as a thank you and a salute.

The book contains over 90 illustrations and pictures.

The book will soon be on sale on Amazon, however Margaret can be contacted If anyone would like to buy a copy. please PM and I will give you Margarets e-mail address.

post-7206-1237723012.jpg

• 4 years later...

I have a photo of Harry Chisam and a photo of Alley Shaw. I have a photo album that was given to me by Tommy Byers a friend of both men and they all lived in Ireland as kids. I would like to get in contact with Margaret Chisam Partington so that I can tell here about my photos that I have. Thank you and I hope to hear from Margaret soon. My name is Dave Donatelli.