The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Horse and War

treetop

Reading an interesting book written by the above who appears to have been a member of the ASC with specific interest in horses and their capability during the Great War. Written in Sept 1918 I found this whilst clearing a house out and early part has been the fitness of the US horse s as light draught horses. Later chapters include the base depots activities of Remount companies and their contribution. Only half way through but a very interesting read to date as my grandfather served in a remount company before K.I.A in April 1916.

mate,

fascinating!----how old is the book? if l can't get one can we talk about me actually reading it?

l have just participated in a forum under the Australian Light Horse Association--have a look. can you give me a precis on the book when you finish

thanks

RDC

Very much a story of the horse and its procurement,suitable types and sourcing. They came to the remounts dept and the man is clearly a horseman with a love for the animal and the vets/remount staff who tended the mounts. He is unspecific about the locations as this was written in Sept 1918 and it appears censorship was still in place so depots are noted as A,B,C,etc and the 'northernmost' one which I assume to be Calais or Boulogne as a point of embarkation. I am quite happy to loan it RDC as once read it isn't a great book for detail or reference but appears to have been purchased in 1930 as a present. Contact me by email (not sure how to PM contact?) and I shall post onto you with trust you return when finished,OK?

regards

Kevin

Dear Kevin,

I appreciate your trust and may well take up your offer. I travel to the UK frequently on business and my wife's relatives live in Bucks. Post it there and l will read it. I will let you lknow details later via em.

We breed Waler horse and l am starting some research with a view to composing a new book on the subject--scary thought.

cheers

Richard

PS, i did have a look on rare book sites and it is listed but costs upward of 65 quid.

Dear Kevin,

I appreciate your trust and may well take up your offer. I travel to the UK frequently on business and my wife's relatives live in Bucks. Post it there and l will read it. I will let you lknow details later via em.

We breed Waler horse and l am starting some research with a view to composing a new book on the subject--scary thought.

cheers

Richard

PS, i did have a look on rare book sites and it is listed but costs upward of 65 quid.

No need to spend all that Richard. I have the book for free,saved it being scrapped. It tends towards the percheron breed of horse that outshone any other during the conditions of war. Send me an email to kleary@tiscali.co.uk and I can get a forwarding address,OK?

regards

Kevin