The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Peregrinations of An australian Prisoner of War by T E Taylor

Waddell

I've noticed this book for sale concerning a digger who was captured at 1st Bullecourt, made a POW and then escaped to Russia. Can anyone comment on the book, particularly the 1st Bullecourt sections. I have not seen it before and looks expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rare-1920-1st-ed-14...A1%7C240%3A1318

Regards,

Scott

Ive never seen the book before but a quick search on a couple of online book suppliers came up with a copy at $330 makes the current ebay bid look very good value.

Tim B

Thanks Tim.

I think someone knows it's a rare book as it has already crept up over the one hundred dollar mark.

I found an article referring to the book on an Australian-Russian website, which seems primarily concerned with the authors view of Russia whilst he was making his escape. There are a few other first world war related articles on the site concerning Russian born Anzacs that are interesting.

Link here-

http://www.argo.net.au/andre/tommytaylorENFIN.htm

It also claims that he was the only British subject held captive in Germany who escaped through Russia. I'm surprised this story is not more widely known.

Peregrination means to "journey from place to place, especially on foot" (from the web dictionary) hence the title. A very "old school" word.

Scott.

Edit- Is that a 36th Battalion AIF patch on your avatar?

Scott

Fascinating story thanks for the link I expect we will see a rush of bids sometime on Monday as at $122 it is still good value (if a bit rich for me).

Yes it is the 36th Battalion patch my Great Uncle Sidney Burrows was in it.

Tim B

Tim,

The book sold for $355.00. $25.00 more than you saw it for online. Looks like the global economic downturn has bypassed the collectable book market.

I would still like to have a look at this book. Wouldn't be surprised if a few more copies turn up on e-bay in the next few months at that sale price.

Scott.