The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

QUESTION: What is the best single volumne WW1 book?

Sean Evans

Sean

I have one book in my collection that might meet your requirements and that is John Keegan's book 'The First World War'. Published in 1998, ISBN 0 09 1801788.

Other than that I believe Hew Strachan published a single volume that might suit you but I haven't read it.

Garth

Sean

Yes, John Keegan's book is excellent. I can also recommend Hew Strachan 'The First World War' - unusual in having many colour photographs and dealing in depth with many non-European fronts - Marc Ferro 'The Great War 1914-1918'. The latter provides a French perspective on the whys and wherefores, as well as on the action.

jeremym

(Jeremy Mitchell)

1914-1918 by David Stevenson. I would place this above Keegan and Strachan from a personal view-point.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Martin Gilbert's ' The First World War' is pretty comprehensive and readable. Trevor Wilson's 'The Myriad Faces of War' is detailed, but is specifically from the British viewpoint. I agree with David's view on Liddell Hart, but A J P Taylor's Illustrated history is worth it, if only for the picture captions.

Edit: It might help if I had written something.

Personally - and old though it is - I think hat you have to go a long way to beat Crutwell's history. Not sure if it is still in print

I believe Cataclysm and 1914-1918 are the same book

Alan

Churchill's The Great War, aka the World Crisis....biased, undoubtedly, but written by someone "who was there", and made all the more compelling by the most superb prose. The analysis of the statistics of casualties in his chapter The Blood Test is a real historiographical landmark. His view is controversial; even if you don't agree with him, your knowledge and appreciation of the Great War is bound to be enhanced by reading this account. If I had to select just one book that I was allowed to keep on the war, this would be it.

Edit...sorry, there is more than one volume, so it's disqualified!

Phil.

Gary Sheffield's 'Forgotten Victory' is my pick.

Michael Howard's book 'The First World War' is the best concise history i've read and it covers the war outside of France and Beligum too.

I am not at all sure that there is such a book as asked for. Unless by best, we mean, least bad. Every book will have weak areas and strong. Why the restriction to one volume? I have a one volume edition of Churchill's World Crisis. I argue with it all the way through. I can factually refute many of the statements and disagree with many of the conclusions. It is superbly written, and I believe anyone who wishes to know about the war needs to keep it on his shelves for reference, after reading it slowly and savouring every sentence. I am not trying to disagree with Phil, but it is a good example of why I think the question has no real answer. The best book of any kind is the one you like best and even you may find one in the future which you like better.

Churchill's The Great War, aka the World Crisis....biased, undoubtedly, but written by someone "who was there", and made all the more compelling by the most superb prose. The analysis of the statistics of casualties in his chapter The Blood Test is a real historiographical landmark. His view is controversial; even if you don't agree with him, your knowledge and appreciation of the Great War is bound to be enhanced by reading this account. If I had to select just one book that I was allowed to keep on the war, this would be it.

Edit...sorry, there is more than one volume, so it's disqualified!

Phil.

Does anyone know where we can buy the full version of The World Crisis, it will be more than one volume, except for the abridged version.

Thanks

Does anyone know where we can buy the full version of The World Crisis, it will be more than one volume, except for the abridged version.

Thanks

It's pretty well everywhere. One of the ubiquitous works that you stand a good chance of finding in a decent second hand bookshop. Try amazon, too.

Phil.

I am not at all sure that there is such a book as asked for. Unless by best, we mean, least bad. Every book will have weak areas and strong. Why the restriction to one volume? I have a one volume edition of Churchill's World Crisis. I argue with it all the way through. I can factually refute many of the statements and disagree with many of the conclusions. It is superbly written, and I believe anyone who wishes to know about the war needs to keep it on his shelves for reference, after reading it slowly and savouring every sentence. I am not trying to disagree with Phil, but it is a good example of why I think the question has no real answer. The best book of any kind is the one you like best and even you may find one in the future which you like better.

You endorse my opinion. I find myself arguing with Churchill too....and therein lies the power of the book. He writes with supreme skill, and knows how to engage the intellect and the emotions simultaneously. Perhaps the books that you disagree with the most can be the most compelling. Even after reading Terraine and Sheffield, and understanding that we must refute the Churchillian view of The Great War, I still find myself coming back to the World Crisis and being cast under its spell.

Phil.

It's pretty well everywhere. One of the ubiquitous works that you stand a good chance of finding in a decent second hand bookshop. Try amazon, too. Phil.

Hi, I am referring to where I could procure a new set of books.

Thanks

You endorse my opinion. I find myself arguing with Churchill too....and therein lies the power of the book. He writes with supreme skill, and knows how to engage the intellect and the emotions simultaneously. Perhaps the books that you disagree with the most can be the most compelling. Even after reading Terraine and Sheffield, and understanding that we must refute the Churchillian view of The Great War, I still find myself coming back to the World Crisis and being cast under its spell.

Phil.

I'm sure it was Asquith who said that "Winston has written another book about himself and has called it 'The World Crisis'".

I agree with H.H.

I'm sure it was Asquith who said that "Winston has written another book about himself and has called it 'The World Crisis'".

I agree with H.H.

That's hard to refute, Al.

It doesn't detract from its power, though.

For all its egoism and hyperbole, the effect is extremely seductive. What a salesman !

Phil.

Old books are often reprinted.

Not when they are multi volume works. There are modern single volume abridgements available and I have a Penguin Classic which is enough for me. The original may well be available through the public libraries.

I agree with Nigel Cave (post 8) : Crutwell is hard to beat. He gives you insight on almost every page and is fair to all belligerents. Excellent style, too.

Personally, I found Keegan's single volume rather dull, presenting little that was not generally known. Poor maps.

All the best,

Fred