The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

No Labour No Battle

charlesmessenger

Congratulations to Ivor Lee, our resident Labour Corps expert who has been of such help to many of us. His history of the Labour Corps is finally completed and will be published on 1 November under the above title. I for one am eagerly awaiting it.

Charles M

Well doen Ivor, looking forward to it.

• 4 months later...

Just to bump this up Amazon is now taking pre-orders for a September delivery

regards Stuart

I'll be buying. Didn't there use to be a link to Amazon from the Forum where the Forum gets a small cut for the traffic?

Hywyn

Edit. Found it. It's in Donations Page button.

Been looking forward to this work from Ivor, well done.

Andy

That's good news. Roll on November.

Mike Shingleton

• 2 months later...

Well, I arrived home from work at about 5:30 to find No Labour, No Battle had arrived during the day and I've been dipping into ever since. You know the picture - book in one hand, stirring baked beans with the other. It doesn't matter where I open the book, every page is fascinating. I really had no idea of the extent of the subject and I am learning so much.

Now my evening jobs are finished I can, at last, settle down to a good read. This is a superb book.

Regards

CGM

As long as its on Amazon it will only take four days to get here. Their service is top notch. Ordered thru

the forum naturally.

David

Ivor

I have now received my copy and on first sight it seems a veritable tour de force. You and John Stalring have clearly left no stone unturned to provide a really comprehensive history. I look forward to seeing you on Saturday so that I can congratulate you in person and get the book signed.

I am sure that other Forumites who buy it will not be disappointed. it is certain to be an invaluable reference.

Charles M

Charles

Many thanks for the kind words.

I am looking forward to both seeing you on Saturday and hearing what I know will be yet another excellent talk.

Regards

Ivor

Ordered from Amazon on the Donations Page link - I can't wait for it to arrive now!

Ivor - I know - has helped SO many people on this forum with this intricate subject. Congratulations.

Des

• 3 months later...

I've just finished the book. It surely must be the definitive work on the subject.

Of course, with so few company diaries in existence, the book can only present an overview of the work of military labour. But, if this is not too big a contradiction in terms, it is an extremely detailed overview.

It deals with the subject in five main sections. The first three are geographical dealing with labour at home, the Western Front and other theatres. The remaining two sections discuss the dominion and other foreign units and it is these sections that I found most interesting. There may only be a couple of paragraphs mentioning the Macedonian Labour Battalions - but that's probably a couple more than you were aware of from other reading. The book concludes with a very useful research section.

Throughout, the very detailed research is apparent and this is, without doubt, one for the bookshelves.

• 10 months later...

Wolverhampton Library were kind enough to purchase a copy on my behalf, so any Pals in the Wolverhampton area will be able to borrow it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest currymunter

I bought this book on spec thinking it would be a detailed account of Labour Battalions focussing on accounts of them being in 'contact'. Whilst it did discuss some of that element it was so much more and was clearly thoroughly and meticulously researched. My thanks to the authors for opening my eyes to the scale of the effort and the complexity of the subject.

I picked it off my shelf this morning to check on the Chinese L. C., and then continued dipping in, here and there, to remind myself of things. It really is very well researched and written with divers topics covered in detail; two subjects which particularly caught my eye today were the British use of Prisoner of War labour, and Appendix VI which covers Exhumation and Reburial

A very useful book

• 1 year later...

I had to make a quick check last night on a question. This book is absolutely first rate. A highly complex question is comprehensively covered. It sits on the shelf beside the OH and well deserves it's place there.