The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CANADIAN in US army

poils-aux-pattes

hi,

I am searching for the personal records( ID ) of Willy ( William ) Gaudet, son of

Paul and Célestine Gaudet.

this is a canadian francophone in the US army during the great war.

that's the only information than I have of him.

someone can help me?

thanks in advance,

poils-aux-pattes

Starting on a hunch I would look into the National Archives Research Room in College Park, MD http://www.archives.gov/research_room/index.html

Also the US Army War College in Carlisle PA http://carlisle-www.army.mil/

There are also several Army records research sites which you can find on Google. Actually now that I think about it, do you know if he was in the army?

Andy

NY Archives Request

Poils-Aux-Pattes,

Above is a link to the New York Archives the requests are $1 US since New York state is close to Quebec he may have enlisted there, it's worth the dollar to see.

You may also want to check New Hampshire and Massachusetts which had large French-Canadian populations unfortunately I don't have links for those two states but if you search online you may find something.

Good luck,

Neil

Starting on a hunch I would look into the National Archives Research Room in College Park, MD http://www.archives.gov/research_room/index.html

Also the US Army War College in Carlisle PA http://carlisle-www.army.mil/

There are also several Army records research sites which you can find on Google. Actually now that I think about it, do you know if he was in the army?

Andy

hi andy,

I have the photo of him in US uniform.

he wearing the US collar on a disk.

army or national guard?

I do not know.

regards,

poils-aux-pattes

NY Archives Request

Poils-Aux-Pattes,

Above is a link to the New York Archives the requests are $1 US since New York state is close to Quebec he may have enlisted there, it's worth the dollar to see.

You may also want to check New Hampshire and Massachusetts which had large French-Canadian populations unfortunately I don't have links for those two states but if you search online you may find something.

Good luck,

Neil

hi neil,

thank for the information.

I will check it soon.

regards,

poils-aux-pattes

• 4 weeks later...
Can you scan and post the photo?  Do you know anything about where or when it was taken?

hi to you and sorry for my latest answer.

here the photo of willy( william ?) gaudet.

nothing else write behind the photo except the name of his mother and father.

célestine and paul.

many thanks,

poils-aux-pattes

post-1-1083094564.jpg

There is the National Military Personnel Records Center in St Louis Missouri. REminds you of a rather hot French Canadian hockey player does it not?

They will likely tell you after a very long wait that his records burned in 1970 but there is a chance they survived.

You might contact some member of congress for help. I suggest NY Senator Hillary Clinton.

As mentioned by others individual states often have records, not sure that will work for you as it's unlikely he was in a National Guard unit and he would not have applied for a veteran's bonus a state gave sometime after the war.

Hi Paul,

NY & NJ's records cover all citizens who served regardless of National Guard, Draftees, Navy etc. They aren't pension records they are summaries of service so they may be of some assistance.

Take care,

Neil

P-A-P... I started thinking along the same line as Paul... and would recommend a check of the records at the Federal Records Center in St. Louis, MO. They have personnel records, though usually just discharges, so obviously he would have had to have survived the war.

Since there is so little information, even from the picture you might just have to start 'throwing darts' and make initial inquiries at a few places hoping to get the first lead. Andy