The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Poona Horse (34th PAVO)

Steven Broomfield

Excuse my ignorance, but does anyone know if there is a history of the 34th Prince Albert Victor's Own Poona Horse for the period leading up to (and including) the Great War?

This might come under the title of the post-1922 amalgamation with the 33rd Queen Victoria's Own Light Cavalry into The Poona Horse (17th Queen Victoria's Own Cavalry).

I've googled it, and ploughed through the Naval and Military website, but to no avail.

Any pointers welcome. I'm currently reading Roly Grimshaw's diary and I'd like, if possible, to flesh out the details.

• 1 month later...
Guest Chacko
Excuse my ignorance, but does anyone know if there is a history of the 34th Prince Albert Victor's Own Poona Horse for the period leading up to (and including) the Great War?

This might come under the title of the post-1922 amalgamation with the 33rd Queen Victoria's Own Light Cavalry into The Poona Horse (17th Queen Victoria's Own Cavalry).

I've googled it, and ploughed through the Naval and Military website, but to no avail.

Any pointers welcome. I'm currently reading Roly Grimshaw's diary and I'd like, if possible, to flesh out the details.

You may download this PDF file it may have the answers you seek.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORCES/...ona%20Horse.pdf

There is quite a bit of information on the Indian Army, Indian Air Force etc at:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com

Cheers. Also thanks to the member who offered me an e-mail address for someone to try.

Steve,

I have the second volume of "The Poona Horse history (17th Queen Victoria's Own Cavalry)" by H. C. Wylly which covers the history of the 33rd & 34th during the Great War and after - anything particular you wanted to know?

Matthew

Nothing specific, thanks - I just wanted to know if there was one, so thanks for telling me.

As Naval and Military don't appear to reprint it I have:

1) To track down a copy

and

2) Persuade Mrs B it's an heirloom.

I suspect the first might be easier.

Nothing specific, thanks - I just wanted to know if there was one, so thanks for telling me.

As Naval and Military don't appear to reprint it I have:

1) To track down a copy

Oh Steve :) You do make me laugh !

It's one of Wyllys good ones and I have never seen the volume one for sale and as for the vol 11 ... well that I saw once about ten years ago ... I bought it.

Cheers

Matthew

Actually, Matthew, I would ask a favour. What does it have on the action in which Roly Grimshaw was wounded? That would interest me.

• 5 years later...

Thanks Simon for advising the link. I was unaware of this book, and the companion Volume 1, on the Digital Library of India website.

Anyone with technical expertise may be interested in the following link regarding a program to more easily download a book from the Digital Library of India website, rather than having to do it page by page.

http://techstunted.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/downloading-books-from-digital-library.html

Note: I have never done this myself.

Cheers

Maureen