The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Wearing the Poppy

Ozzie

I have just received my copy of

Wearing the Poppy, by AJ Toledo, - our very own AllieT.

A children's non fiction book, it is beautifully presented , using diairies, letters and photos to tell the experience of the soldiers from her family in the Great War.

It is also an explanation of what the poppy means. The use of two colours complements the story, and is very striking.

We were very lucky to have a sneak peak when Allie came to our meet up, and the book was released on the 1st of April.

Even though it is labelled for children, this book can take its place on adult bookshelves as well. ( I had a tear or two when I read it agian. )

If you are looking for a GW Book for a child, you might like to look for this one.

Congratulations Allie, and thank you.

Cheers

Kim

When I first saw Allie’s book – the striking red poppies against the dull blue / white background immediately conjured up images of Schindler’s List. (those who saw the movie will never forget the young girl in the red coat)

I found the symbolism here just as moving.

I have to agree with Kim that although written for children, Allie’s book is just as interesting & informative for we adults.

I was glad to learn something new about our cousins across the ditch (the other half of ANZAC) – I’d never realized until now that (due to a delayed shipment) they wear their poppies on Anzac Day, and not Remembrance Day as we Aussies do!

It would be great to see a copy of ‘Wearing the Poppy’ in all schools around the world.

Keeping the memory alive.

Thanks Allie.

Cheers, Frev

Well Done Allie!

post-11785-1239080966.gif

Is it just available in the Southern Hemisphere or will the book be hitting the UK shores? (thinking it sounds just the job to introduce the Great War to my boys, one of which has shown a little interest)

I too am interested in obtaining a copy, let us know so we too can enjoy

Mandy

I ordered mine through Fishpond NZ and through a convulted postal path, Allie signed it for me.

It seems in NZ an author can not buy and sign their own books for resale. Allie will correct me if I have this wrong.

Cheers

Kim

Hi

Agree it is a great book for all generations. I received my copy this week, thanks Allie.

I certainly would like to be able to purchase a few more copies for Grandchildren, nieces and nephews etc.

Congratulations to Allie for bringing out a rather unique book and thanks again for my copy.

Kindest regards

John

Thanks, everyone, for your lovely comments! :)

I can buy copies of the book at a discounted price through HarperCollins. However, I am not allowed to onsell these. What I can do is pop down to the local shop and buy one retail and stick it in the post.

I understand that there will be a limited release of the book in Australia in May. I've no idea who will stock it but I think the shop at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra is going to have them on sale.

Fishpond (our quasi-amazon) has sold out, but will hopefully have more in stock soon.

John, I'm glad to hear your copy has arrived safely.

Allie

This is a gem of a book, I shall be reading it to my grandchildren, but keeping a copy firmly in my possession.

Cheers Allie, (Lemon lime n'bitters of course :P )

Shirley

• 2 weeks later...

Allie

Congratulations on producing such a fine tribute to the ANZACs and the part played by members of your family in its service.

"The times pass but memories remain".

Kind Regards

Frank East

• 2 months later...

It looks like the book may become available outside of Australasia. It's up on amazon with a release date of October 1st 2009 and a price of £9.99. I suppose the October date is to fit in with Remembrance Day commemorations in November.

Allie