The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Goodbye to all that, Somme mud, To the Last Ridge, Storm of Steel

Waddell

I'm interested in learning more of the American involvement in the Great War and although I've seen quite a few books on the campaigns and personalities I haven't seen a lot of personal accounts.

Could some of our US based forum members recommend a few?

Are there any classics in the vein of Goodbye to All That, Storm of Steel, etc?

Thanks,

Scott.

there are a lot of good personal accounts many privately printed, i do have several i will post some titles

best regards john

Thanks John. I look forward to seeing that list.

I have read that quite a few were printed in the 1920's, but after that there wasn't much interest in the first world war in the states. I'm not sure how true that is.

I have seen a memoir called "Toward the Flame" by Hervey Allen that is readily available. It seems to have good reviews. Are you familiar with this one?

Scott.

Allen's Toward the Flame is probably the classic Yank memoir. Some more recent titles that have become minor classics are Albert Ettinger's A Doughboy with the Fighting 69th, Suddenly We Didn't Want to Die by Elton Mackin and His Time in Hell by Warren Jackson. James B. Hallas' Doughboy War is a terrific source for first-person accounts. Somewhat less useful, but worth a look, is Henry Berry's Make the Kaiser Dance, which is a collection of 1970s interviews with elderly vets.

If you want to get a good idea of the character of the AEF and the terrible ordeal they went through, I think Hallas is your best bet, although the book may be hard to find.

Thanks Will,

I'll keep an eye out for the Hallas book.

I actually found an interesting article on doughboy literature that mentions a few of the books that you mentioned, so I've more of an idea of what is available now.

http://www.meuse-argonne.com/Randys%20Webp...hboy_biblio.htm

Interesting website as well.

Regards,

Scott