The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Journey of Remembring

Wesley Wright

Surprised no one has made any comments--Book launched on 31st March--contains 0ver 6,700 names. Details had to be reduced for each name otherwise two volumes would havee been required. A very worthwhile reference book.

Wesley Wright

Wesley,

The book has already been mentioned on a thread already. I posted a comment or two on it. Would of preferred to buy two volumes to get all the details on the Fallen Soldiers rather than a condensed version.

Regards,

Phil

Wesley

See link below to previous thread, I have to agree with Phil on this one, details are basically SDGW and CWGC amalgamated, odd one has some other details. As you say a useful reference work to start with.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...&hl=belfast

Regards, Tommy.

Sorry missed the original post. Would be great if all the details could be published.

Wesley Wright

Tommy,

Could i ask a favour? Had a phone call this morning from a cousin in Londonderry who has seen a copy and says that my grandfathers cousin Pte John Elliott 1401, 10th RIR is listed.

I had checked the on-line 'Journey of Remembering' before on the off chance he may have been on it but wasn't [and still isn't].

Could you tell me what info it gives please.

Any idea what other information they may have and is it recorded somewhere.

Have got a flight booked now for 8th/9th May.

Rob

Rob

Elliott, John - Rifleman

1401 Royal Irish Rifles, 10th Battalion, Died in war 22 November 1917

Cambrai Memorial, Louverval, France

Son of Samual Elliott, 47 Fraser Street, Belfast.

That's all I'm afraid.

See post 8 on the other thread for your other question:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=119411

Regards, Tommy.

Tommy

Thanks for posting the info.

John's medals are with one of my fathers cousins in Londonderry where his Father Sam died in 1919, at my great-grandfathers house.This was Sam's brother, James.

Have now checked and John's mother is listed as signing the Ulster Covenant in 1912 with the address as 47 Fraser St.

She signed at Westbourne presbyterian Church. So assuming this was their local church i checked the memorial roll.

There is a 'T' Elliott, Royal Irish Rifles KIA. So think this may be John, as by the time the memorial was put together the family had moved back up to Londonderry.

Not sure yet but think John's mother died in Belfast, between 1912-1918.

Some years ago i went out to Louveral to see John's name on the wall.

Glad to see him remembered in this book.

Rob

It's basically a list Mark. I know Derek Smyth who was compiling and expressed opinion that some contextual accounts would be 'added value' ... I think the idea was for this to be the same basic format as the Donegal/Dublin Books of Remembering .. which were, you will be fully aware .... er, lists.

Des