The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

10th Batt LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS

ralphjd

Morning All. A friend of mine has asked if I can enquire of the Forum members if anyone can recommend any books to read on the 10th Batt Lancashire Fusiliers up to 1918. I have the diary of movements, but he wants descriptions of actions etc if possible. Regards Ralph.

Ralph,

Don't know of any books as such, however, have you had a look on the Naval and Military Press web site. There is a vast range of unit histories, which may include the Battalion your friend is after.

Cheers Andy.

There is no book on the 10th battalion as such. However, the LFs produced one of the better Great War Regimental Histories, 'History of the Lancashire Fusiliers 1914-18' by Major General J.C. Latter (Two volumes, Gale and Polden 1949) closely based on the war diaries, which gives detailed accounts of all the significant actions the various battalions were involved in. Unusually in my experience, it also lists the awards made after each engagement, to officers and ORs.

Hi,

The book 'Men Of 18 in 1918' by Frederick James Hodges. Deals with his time with the 10th LF's on the Western Front

An excellent book, and can be found on all the book finder engines.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Just looked on ABE, one for sale for a tenner.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

If you look on ebay, there is one up for 8 quid, no one has made a bid yet.

If I had the abillity, I wish I could make a link, but I am useless at that stuff,

So you will have to put a search using Frederick James Hodges.

Well worth getting, as its a lovely book.

Regards....Ian

• 1 month later...

I'm not positive that it's the correct Battalion but i would try this book. It's a really good read.

9781861269836.jpg

George Ashurst actually served in two Lancashire Fusilier battalions during the war-1st and 16th (2nd Salford Pals). They were both in different Divisions to the 10th battalion so there's no real relevance, I'm afraid, beyond the fact that he was a Fusilier. Nevertheless, 'My Bit' is indeed an excellent book.

On a slightly trivial note, the soldiers in the 'Trench Experience' gallery in the Imperial War Museum London are supposed to be 10th LF.