The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

women in the War Zone

susan kitchen

Hi There.

I Have just acquired a new book called "Women in the War zone by Anne Powell. This book is full of tales of British women Doctors and Nurses who served abroad during WW1. This book includes the amazing story's of a young Nurse who was very seriously injured whilst on a ship caring for soldiers and the ship was torpedoed. A young Doctor struggling to cope at an isolated Hospital and how someone created a beautiful garden amongst the hell and carnage that was the First World War. Plus much more. The ISBN IS 9780750950596 £25. Sure anyone who buy's it will enjoy it.

Susan.

• Admin

Thanks for the heads up Susan; I fear more book buying approaching!

Michelle

Susan

Does the book comprise extracts from personal experience accounts or original research? What does it have on Elsie Knocker and Marie Chisholm at Pervyse?

thanks

Simon

Sorry Simon for the delay in getting back to you. I have not been able to read this book yet as it's meant to be a birthday present on 16th May from one of my family. However as i ordered it myself from the bookshop where i work i have had a good delve into it. Enough to know it's good book. As far as i can see it has quite a bit about Elsie Knocker, 9 entries, 3 pages and 7 entries 4 pages for Marie Chisholm. Seems to have quite a bit about Pervyse.

The author has selected first hand accounts of the experiences by Nurses and Doctors who served at the front.

Hope this is of some help.

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

I am the author's daughter! So exciting to find you were talking about her book and I rushed up to her house to tell her! (A blogger she's not!). Anne has taken over 7 years to research Women in the War Zone which has first hand accounts of the experiences of those female medical pesonnel who served abroad during the First World War. Elsie Knocker and Mairi Chisholm both have their own chapters. Do let me know if you want further info. Many thanks.

Lucinda

I haven't read the book either yet (sorry Lucinda) but do have copies on the shelf of the author's previous books 'Shadows of War' and 'The Fierce Light'. Further to Simon's previous question I received a flyer from the publisher some time ago which I've attached here. I assume from this that the new book is written in the style of 'The Fierce Light' i.e. passages taken directly from original works, letters, diaries, with brief introductory and explanatory comments by the editor/author. So it might depend of the breadth of previous reading as to how new the content will be.

Sue

post-416-1240558199.jpg

Susan, Lucinda and Sue

Many thanks, I'll look out for the book.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent account of memorable experiences by remarkable ladies. Anne Powell's research and work in providing this book is a fitting testimony to their memory. The lay-out of the book is also well thought out and as a newcomer to the subject of the Great War I much appreciated the early section on the relevant dates of the various conflicts.

Hi Lucinda - do you know if there is any chance that your mother's book will be sold in Australia?

Cheers, Frev

• 7 months later...
  • Admin

Santa very kindly gave me this so I'm looking forward to reading it.

Michelle

Santa very kindly gave me this so I'm looking forward to reading it.

Michelle

Hello Michelle, very tempted to treat myself to this book -but must just ask, any new material included on Vera Brittain ?

Thanks, Michael

• Admin

No it appears not Michael

Michelle

Looks as though this means I will be spending even more money!. Having already got both "A Deep Cry" and "The Fierce Light" from this author I will have no hesitation in buying her latest title.

Regards

Norman

Hi Lucinda - do you know if there is any chance that your mother's book will be sold in Australia?

Cheers, Frev

Hi Frev

I also woud be interested in getting a copy, so hopefully it comes "down under" shortly.

Peter